Never had this happen before...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TypeCoin971793, Sep 17, 2017.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

So I bought an 1852 3¢ silver on eBay that appeared to be a lustrous AU/UNC for $91. In hand, it was obvious it had been cleaned. Thus I initiated a return, and eBay immediately gave me a refund and a message to keep the coin.

I have just messaged the seller telling him I still plan on shipping the coin back as that is the right thing to do. I don't know what he will say. Maybe I will get a free coin.

What would you have done? Would you have done something differently?

IMG_1036.JPG IMG_1037.JPG

ColonialCoin4 and Oldrdawg like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Seller is running scared of the power buyers have on Ebay. I would do just what you're doing, send the coin back and assure him he's getting positive feedback because he did the right thing about the problem.

Edit: Wait, Ebay told you to keep the coin, or did the seller?

4. TypeCoin971793

Ebay. It was an automatic response to opening the return.

5. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Jeez, hard to believe. Still has some value looking that good even cleaned.

That and the CBH dime were the two most frustrating to find for my set and the only ones I caved on and got hole fillers.

6. TypeCoin971793

7. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Wow, I've certainly never seen that. Seems like the kind of thing people would exploit. I'd kinda hesitate to share his Seller ID.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

So Ebay just screwed the seller out of his coin?

9. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

My guess is the seller clicked the wrong button. He probably wanted to accept the return, but also wanted the coin back. I'd do as you intended, and send it back.

LA_Geezer and spirityoda like this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You did the right thing, Send it back,

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

+1

LA_Geezer and coinzip like this.
  12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have seen this when the coin is a fake but not on just a normal return. Returning it is the cool thing to do.

coinzip and harrync like this.
  13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

14. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

The wonders of eBay never cease to amaze me. On the one hand the buyer has "accepted your return" (to me a "return" anticipates the item being sent back, i.e., returned) but on the other "You don't need to return this item." I think eBay should go into the business of writing federal regulations.

CircCam likes this.
  15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's not acceptable even when a coin is claimed to be fake, and simply because it opens decent sellers up to another form of eBay-promoted abuse. What the OP is experiencing is simply too much any way one looks at it.

Returning no matter what the situation is indeed the right, and only acceptable, thing to do.

RonSanderson likes this.
  16. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

Yes, eBay automated responses can be weird. If I put in a tie bid, they email me "You're winning now, but you may be outbid...." Of course I'm not winning, since a tie goes to the guy who bid before me.

17. Brad Campbell

Brad Campbell New Member

Hello All: I am a long time eBay seller as well as Power Seller & I have told my customers who were disatisfied with an item & want to return for refund to keep the item for many reasons like: Item cost me very little & not worth sending back because I would need to trash it anyway: Weight & freight charges incurred didn't justify me receiving the item back. This may not apply to coins as I don't deal in coins on eBay & so often I find a treasure dirt cheap & sell it for a much higher fair price based on the item.
    I would keep the coin & thank the seller. Maybe evedn give him a favorable review on feedback?

18. BooksB4Coins

This is one of the smallest coins ever produced by the US Mint. The knowledgeable OP, although not satisfied, paid $91 for it, so do you really think the seller wouldn't want it back simply because they didn't want to pay a tiny fraction of the sale price for return shipping?

Perhaps with other items, yes.... I can certainly see your point, but all things considered, it makes no sense here.

ddddd likes this.
  19. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I still think the seller clicked the wrong selection, and the coin should be returned.

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I would suspect that the refund and keep was initiated by the seller just so he could close the "case" in the Ebay system. The seller has over 10,000 feebacks listed at 100% positive and can't be bothered with managing returned items to maintain that reputation.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  21. BooksB4Coins

If this can be explained by simply having clicked the wrong option, it would make the most sense of all that has been thus far proffered.

Considering the large percentage of this sales valued well under what the OP paid for this 3CS, I am having a very hard time believing he would do such a thing simply because he doesn't wish to be bothered. In his fairly limited sales history, this was the third most expensive item sold. Stranger things have, of course, happened, but I would be very surprised to learn this was meant to be a freebie.

Draft saved Draft deleted