Never had so much fun with coins as in the last two days

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by AZSteve, Oct 23, 2020.

1. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

Every time I go to my credit union or a nearby bank that lets me exchange coin rolls, I ask for dollars or halves. They never have rolls, and only occasionally have some loose coins in their cash drawers. Last visit I asked again and the head cashier said "How many rolls do you want?" "How many do you have?" "$580 - all small dollars." "Why do you have so many all of a sudden?" "Some guy brought in a whole bunch of them." So I brought $200 worth home. Besides a wide variety of the circulation dates/mints (SBAs, Sacs, Native Americans and mostly Presidents, thru Garfield), I found a Tyler proof, a Polio Innovation, and several rarer collector-quantity Presidents (the ones after Garfield). Anticipation on every roll was "What am I going to find next?!" I went back the next day and got the rest of them - both customer-wrapped and bank-wrapped.

I hadn't collected small dollars. Ended up finding 78 dates/types/mints. This included all eight circulation-quantity SBAs (79, 80, 99), all ten Sacs/NativeAmericans from circulation-quantity years (00-01, 09-11), all D's and all but five P's from President circulating-quantity years (07-11), eight Sacs/NativeAmericans from collector-quantity years (02-08, 12-20), fourteen dates/mints from President collector-quantity years (12-16: after Garfield) with only one duplicate, two proofs (Tyler & Pierce), Innovation Polio dollars from both P&D, and one very shiny, silver-colored U.S.Grant (was it plated?). I still have to sort through and choose the best from each type/mint pile.

These 73 y.o. eyes struggled to make out the edge-inclused mint marks. I didn't know about the rare 2000-P Cheerios variety 'til I was done, so I might have to go back and check - at least the 2000-P's are easy to distinguish. When I go back to the CU branch I'll ask if the guy brought any other coins in - there were so many collectibles.

I will include pics of the rarer ones in a future post.

Mike Davis, Kentucky and furham like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Here ya go. What the Cheerios dollar middle detailed tail feathers looks like...

01-Tail-Feathers copy.jpg
    01-Pattern-Sac-Rev-Lg.jpg

tibor likes this.
  4. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

Yeah, when I read about it I found those same pics on-line. Thanks, and cheerio!

5. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great find. You gotta love the price at only face value. You'll never lose money buying coin at that price.

Draft saved Draft deleted