Netherlands Gold Ducat Info?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by A Novice, Apr 26, 2021.

1. A Novice

A Novice Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

I have recently become interested in the Netherlands Gold Ducat coins, just for the simple fact they are aesthetically pleasing to me.
    From what I have read, these coins have been minted starting in the 16th century all the way to present day. But from what I understand there were gaps in years in which they were not produced. What I'm looking for is information regarding what years these coins were actually struck, from 16th century to present. If anyone can point me to a good online source or recommend a source that would be much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my message.

Chris B likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Numista.com has an awesome list of world coins. Better than any other online source I have found.

Another option is to find someone with a Krause book or the like to get an idea for mintages, etc to build a gameplan from there.

A Novice likes this.
  4. A Novice

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Welcome New Member ! ;)

A Novice likes this.
  6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Hi and welcome to CT. The earliest starting point I could find was 1586-1803 on Numista. For subsequent dates use their search function. There appears to be a lot of years where none were struck
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces82747.html

A Novice likes this.
  7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

OP, I do believe our very own supermoderator here @GDJMSP wrote a book on these actually. I would start with Doug if I ever wanted to know about Dutch ducats.

A Novice and expat like this.
  8. A Novice

That’s awesome! Do you know the title of the book? I’d love to find it.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You can read about it here -

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/i-am-very-proud-to-say.282405/

Unfortunately there is no single source for this information either online or published yet - key word there is yet. And it required years of research just to put that information together. Once all the volumes of the book are finished, then it will be available to everyone.

You can find bits and pieces of the info in the Krause catalogs, Delmonte's book Le Benelux D'Or, and Scheffers’ The Dutch Gold Ducat (1586-1986), but not all of the info contained in them is accurate, nor are any of them complete.

To the best of my knowledge, at this time, there is but one person who has all of the information, the man I wrote the book with, Darius (Darek) Jasek.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    A Novice likes this.
  10. A Novice

Sir, you have been extremely helpful. Thank you for your time.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You're more than welcome ! I'm always happy to hear of another ducat collector :) When I first got started on them most folks didn't even know what they were.

edit - I wrote this almost 20 years ago -

http://www.winsociety.org/newsletter/ducats/ducats.html

It was that article that actually got Darek started and led him to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted