Netherlands adopts US Dollar and comes with a Dollar coin ..................

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Euro, Jan 21, 2011.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Great Post!

This will be the perfect winter get-away for Bernard von Nothaus. :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

There are features here that are not so unique after all.

Newfoundland, which suffered greatly in WWI, gave up self govenrment in 1934.

China has several currencies including the Hong Kong dollar and Macau Pataca.

4. seasnake

seasnake Junior Member

Just some observations about st maarten/st martin and aruba currency from a repeat visitor. Both St Maarten and Aruba florins are pegged at $1.78 to the US dollar and both are acceptable for transactions, even the atm's give you a choice of which currency it dispenses. St Maarten/St martin, being dual nationalities, has 3 currencies, the florin, us dollar and euro, all of which are accepted almost everywhere. Here is where it gets dicey though. The french side (euro) businesses have been losing customers because of the exchange rate so most restaurants set their own rates, some even peg it 1 to 1. Also Arubian florins and St Maarten florins were (are) not interchangeable although they are worth the same, go figure. So now we will have 2 more currencies to deal with, interesting.

5. Euro

Euro New Member

Very interesting. I never knew New Found Land was once independent and returned itself to Britain so to speak. This indeed seems extremely similar to the Netherlands Antilles that in a totally peaceful manner (it didn't even have the civil unrest New Foundland had) simply abolished themselves. Thanks for the info.

As for the currencies, yes. It's comparable but not the same. The two Chinese SARs have a very high degree of autonomy in all areas except for foreign policy and defense. Basically, they are countries within a country. The three Dutch islands have no such autonomy: they are simply part of holland and there will be very little exceptions. Exceptions made hardly transcend municipal level. In that respect I do think it's a bit strange to then have 2 currencies in what basically is just 1 country instead of several country-like area's.

6. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I wish California would return itself to Spain.

7. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

Please let us know if there becomes a seller in the U.S. I think a few of us would love to own one of these! By the way, thanks for the interesting article.

8. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

Legal Tender may be overrated.

Many currencies have circulated without being legal tender. Scotland, today, has no legal tender paper in circulation. United States cents were not legal tender until 1857. There was no 100% legal tender paper money in the USA until gold certificates were made so in 1919. At that, gold certificates did not circulate with the public until 1922. (Before that, they were being hoarded by the FRB's because of WWI.)

9. Euro

Euro New Member

When I see any that are available online, I'll inform you here.

10. Euro

Euro New Member

Update: beside the circulation dollar with a mintage 50.000, there will also be an extremely rare proof silver dollar with a mintage of 500 pieces.

Draft saved Draft deleted