Netherland Antilles 5 cent coin question

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Cal.Sales, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Cal.Sales

Cal.Sales Junior Member

Greetings

I have a few square (approx. 18mm) coins that have NEDERLANDSE ANTILLEN surrounding a flower one one side and 5c on the other side. The odd thing is that there appears to be no date at all on the coin.

Can someone explain this or point me to where on-line I can get an explanation?

Thanks.

cal.sales

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

KM#6, is listed with intermittent dates from 1957-1970 in both circulation and proof versions. It's listed as 4.5g of cu-ni and the flower in a circle on the obverse is described as an orange blossom.

Although the listing gives six dates, I can't find one on the picture in Krause.

4. Cal.Sales

Cal.Sales Junior Member

Thanks for looking and responding hontonai.

Since I can't find dates on these eleven actual coins, and you don't see dates on the KM pictures, I have to conclude that they just did not date these coins. That leads me to wonder how many different coins were circulated with no dates on them. Not many I'd guess.

cal.sales

5. bart

bart Senior Member

The date is written in the shells left and right of the denomination 5 c.

6. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Makes sense. Even though I couldn't see the dates on the crappy Krause picture, I knew they had to be there as Krause doesn't give a date unless it's on the coin. For undated coins (of which there are literally hundreds or even thousands - think Chinese cash coins) they use "ND" and when appropriate a date in parentheses.

The true issue dates on many Spanish coins, inside tiny stars, are also generally impossible to see in the Krause pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted