Nerva-Antonines: A Huge Milestone for my Collection

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Nov 6, 2020.

?

Just for fun. Which one is your favorite? Pick 2.

1. Nerva – SALVS PVBLICA

2. Trajan – Crossing the Danube

3. Hadrian – Travel Series to AFRICA

4. Aelius – Lady Luck (Felicitas)

5. Antoninus Pius – Purple AEQVITAS

6. Marcus Aurelius – Conqueror of the Macromanni

7. Lucius Verus – Victory over Parthia

8. Commodus – Full blown crazy for Hercules

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I’ve been working on my sub-collection of the Nerva Antonine Dynasty in Imperial Silver for a few years now and I have finally reached an important milestone in that collection; I now have all the male members of the dynasty who held the rank of Caesar or Augustus accounted for. I am still in the process of acquiring all the female members who had coins struck for them and I will eventually branch out into other denominations but for now I feel pretty good about my progress. I am also continuing to acquire other examples in silver but these coins shown below are my representative examples for each emperor that I felt carried the most interest for me.

00CC0E3A-E455-4498-8529-316C3D4ED668.jpeg

I tried to select coins that were interesting in some way that goes beyond just a consideration of the grade. I wanted coins that for one reason or another I thought were more interesting than other coins of the emperor / empress in a similar price bracket or grade.

Nerva September AD 96 – January AD 98
    F1BCC9E0-D259-44C1-81D9-91A6185536D2.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Nerva (AD 96-98)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck October AD 97
    Dia.: 17 mm
    Wt.: 3.47 g
    Obv.: IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P II COS III PP; Laureate bust right
    Rev.: SALVS PVBLICA; Salus, seated left, holding grain ears
    Ref.: RIC II 20
    Ex Naville Numismatic Live Auction 44 (Nov. 2018)

Write up: Nerva: A Rare Common Coin

Why I find it interesting: Coins of Nerva are all about the portrait for me. I found this portrait to very interesting and unique. I also like how Nerva’s coins can often be dated quite narrowly and that this one can be narrowed down to an individual month!

........................................​

Trajan January AD 98 – August AD 117
    B8A1A9C7-19AC-475A-8560-0B9C9CDC6D19.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Trajan (AD 98 – 117)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 107 – 108
    Dia.: 19.1 mm
    Wt.: 2.94 g
    Obv.: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TR P; Trajan laureate bust right, left shoulder draped.
    Rev.: COS V PP SPQR OPTIMO PRINC; Danube, velificatio, reclining on rocks, right hand holding the prow of a ship. Left arm resting on overflowing container of water. DANVVIVS in exergue.
    Ref.: RIC II 100

Write up: Trajan: the Best Emperor and the Mystery of the River God

Why I find it interesting: Literally all the many things in the above write up. This is a coin that refers to Trajan’s campaign in Dacia and his crossing of the Danube River and may have an even more specific meaning depending on interpretation.

Hadrian August AD 117 – July AD 138
    FE6CEAA5-9DF4-4D0D-8978-13CA889B8758.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Hadrian (AD 117 – 138)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 134 – 138
    Wt.: 2.98 g
    Obv.: HADRIANVS AVG COS III PP; Laureate head right
    Rev.: AFRICA; Africa with elephant headdress reclining left, holding scorpion and cornucopia, basket of grain at feet
    Ex L. Rose Collection

Write up: Hadrian: Benefactor of Africa

Why I find it interesting: I think most people are familiar with Hadrian’s “Travel Series” coins (see my write up above if not). I prefer the types that have the provinces shown as personifications with attributes associated with the region. This example shows AFRICA with the following attributes; elephant headdress, cornucopia, grain basket and scorpion.

Aelius AD 136 – January AD 138 (as heir)
    213C1613-2738-4ABD-B663-5E35E21D0A5C.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Aelius as Caesar (AD 136-138)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck AD 137
    Wt.: 3.24 g
    Obv.: L AELIVS CAESAR Bare head right
    Rev.: TR POT COS II Felicitas standing left holding caduceus and cornucopia
    Ref.: RIC II 430 (Hadrian)
    Ex Pars Sale 3, lot 357 (Oct. 2019), Ex Numismatik Naumann 75, lot 643 (Mar. 2019), Formerly slabbed by NGC

Write up: Aelius: The Emperor Who Wasn’t

Why I find it interesting: Aelius is a lesser known member of the Nerva Antonine Dynast but deserves a place on the list after holding the rank of Caesar and heir under Hadrian. There are not a lot of coins that reference a specific historical event so I chose this example based on what I consider to be a very pleasant style.

Antoninus Pius July AD 138 – March AD 161
    504BA653-998E-4B64-9509-7346EC0C9B5F.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Antoninus Pius, AD 138-161
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, Struck ca. AD 140-143
    Wt.: 3.01 g
    Dia.: 17 mm, 6h
    Obv.: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP TR P COS III; Laureate head right
    Rev.: AEQVITAS AVG; Aequitas standing left, holding scales and sceptre
    Ref.: RIC III 61; RSC 14

Why I find it interesting: This is another emperor that does not have a lot of imperial silver types with overt historical references. As such I chose this example for the pleasant purple toning and the reverse (AEQUITAS = Justice / Equality) which seems to be a good type to represent this unusually (for the time) just and equitable emperor.

Marcus Aurelius March AD 161 – March AD 181
    6C9AACC7-0C3B-4A87-9B5F-5E3671DA2023.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Marcus Aurelius
    AR denarius, Rome mint, struck AD 173
    Dia.: 19 mm
    Wt.: 3.31 g
    Obv.: M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXVII; Laureate head right
    Rev.: IMP VI COS III; German captive seared left at foot of trophy
    Rev.: RIC 280
    Ex Walter Stoecklin Collection (before 1975); Ex Orfew Collection

Why I find it interesting: I wanted an example of Marcus Aurelius that commemorated an historical event that he was personally involved in. This coin commemorates Marcus’s victory in the Macromannic War in which he took personal leadership in the field. While the emperor himself would probably prefer to be remembered more for his philosophical accomplishments I find these references to his military career to be fascinating. The provenance of this coin is also great as it is both ex Orfew and ex Stoecklin Collection.

Lucius Verus March AD 161 – January 169
    B13903CC-5B7D-4F28-810E-D8B4BA114F36.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Lucius Verus (AD 161-169)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 165-166
    Dia.: 18 mm
    Wt.: 3.30 g
    Obv.: L VERVS AVG ARM PARTH MAX; Laureate bust right
    Rev.: TR P VI IMP IIII COS II; Victory standing right holding palm branch and placing a shield inscribed VIC PAR on a palm tree
    Ref.: RIC 566

Why I find it interesting: Ancient sources often make it seem like Lucius Verus was nothing more than a debauched playboy. When he was dispatched to lead the war effort against a Parthian attack not long after he became co-emperor he is said to have continued with his well-known extravagant antics. However, the results of his campaign speak for themselves and it is hard to ignore the fact that he was apparently an able administrator and competent leader despite his critic’s jabs at his personality. This coin commemorates his victory in the Parthian campaign. Because, officially, any victory of Lucius was also considered a victory for Marcus I have noted that you more often find this coin type struck for Marcus and examples struck for Lucius seem to come up for sale less often. As such I was very happy to have acquired this example.

Commodus AD 176 – December AD 192
    C1D8404C-3D6A-4457-8D23-47E9E6E0F5F3.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Commodus (AD 177-192)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 192
    Wt.: 2.66 g
    Obv.: L AEL AVREL COMMA VG P FEL; Commodus bust right wearing lion skin on head.
    Rev.: HER-CVL RO-MAN AV-GV; Club in wreath
    Ref.: RIC III 251, Scarce
    Ex W.F. Stoeckin Collection. Acquired in the 1960s from Prof. L. De Nicola in Rome

Why I find it interesting: Commodus was full-blown crazy. He is well known to have thought he was a reincarnated Hercules and to have participated in some bizarre antics as a make-believe gladiator. This coin shows Commodus dressed in the lion-skin associated with Hercules. This portrait is almost an exact representation in miniature of the famous contemporaneous sculpture of Commodus as Hercules.

Commodus.jpg

I know many of you have coins of this period. So PLEASE POST YOUR 5 GOOD EMPERORS / NERVA ANTONINE DYNASTY COINS!!!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Too lazy to post so many of mine but your set came out excellent. They're all very nice examples.

My favorites are the Trajan & Commodus. Still haven't found an affordable example of that Commodus in my price range. But I admit I don't look hard either.

Curtisimo likes this.
  4. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Nice set, but I mean all! .......If I had to choose two it would be as I voted..Hadrian and Commodus. Here's my five..
    5 GOOD EMPERORS.jpg

5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

These are all beautiful denarius.

Roman Collector and Curtisimo like this.
  6. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins!

I loved the Hadrian, but I had to vote for that Aelius (hard to find them that nice!) and of course the Commodus as HERCVLI ROMANO is one of the most interesting of all Roman coins.

I have nearly the entire dynasty, but I'll just share my favorites of the eight men you have posted.

Nerva - A bit rough but I went for one with somewhat lifelike proportions rather than a cartoonist's caricature
    Nerva denarius fortvna pr.jpg

Trajan - the finest portrait of him I have owned, and the historical ARAB ADQ
    Trajan Arabia denarius.jpg

Hadrian, a nicely styled early portrait full of energy (and his hair doesn't look slathered in grease!)
    Hadrian denarius roma seated.jpg

Aelius, the nicest from a group lot of his coins
    Aelius caesar concordia.jpg

Antoninus Pius, I have read that the IMPERATOR II reverse type corresponds to the completion of the Antonine Wall
    Antoninus Pius Imperator II.jpg

Lucius Verus, uncommonly clear and crisp strike
    Lucius verus denarius aequitas.jpg

Marcus Aurelius, again just an extremely pleasing portrait, which is somewhat rare for him
    Marcus Aurelius jupiter ric 381.jpg

And a Commodus as Hercules, of course!
    Commodus herculi Romano denarius.jpg

7. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Wow that is certainly a set to be proud of.. wonderful coins.
    Congratulations...

Here is my low end set in bronze.

upload_2020-11-6_20-48-37.png

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

If I could have one wish for Coin Talk it would be that more people here subscribe to this theory of collecting. There are many reasons for selecting one coin over another and we each can make our choices. I can have little to say for coins which have grade and price as their most significant feature. Your selectins give us worlds to consider.

For Nerva, 99% of us pick a coin for his nose. I'm just as guilty of that as anyone. I wish he had more types of interest but the ones that come to mind are bronzes (VEHICVLATIONE ITALIAE REMISSA). I piked tthe denarius with hands.
    rc1605nt3484.jpg

My favorite Nerva is actually a Trajan but shows Nerva and Trajan on the reverse. The great accomplishment of Nerva was adopting Trajan and setting up the adoptive dynasty. This early portrait even makes Trajan look like Nerva.
    rc1630b00122lg.jpg

Like you, I believed a travel coin is best for Hadrian. Since you showed the obvious Egypt coin, I'll post a galley carrying Hadrian to all those places.
    rc1850bb0586.jpg

I do not have an Aelius denarius.

Antoninus Pius got his Pius due to his dispute with the Senate over the question of the deification of Hadrian That would make the obvious choice one of his earliest coins lacking the title Augustus during the period he was negotiating with the Senate. None of the reverses seem more appropriate than others so I'll show the Diana.
    rc2050bb0587.jpg

For Aurelius, I will show the adoption issue showing the young Caesar on the reverse of what is actually a coin of Antoninus Pius. The main reason I consider this appropriate is that Aurelius failed to learn the lesson of the dynasty and find someone worthy of succeeding him. Marcus Aurelius is famous for his philosophy but his primary effect on Rome was leaving the purple to his worthless son Commodus.
    rc2190bb0618.jpg

You made the obvious choice for Commodus so I will just show the other reverse option available. It rubs in the point with all the weapons of Hercules on the reverse.
    rc2580bb2015.jpg

That leaves Lucius Verus. Pius was required by Hadrian to adopt Verus, son of the late Aelius along with the more able Aurelius. They seemed to get along better than the average Roman co-Augusti. I only have one denarius of Verus and it is nothing special so I will go off instructions and show a sestertius. I believe there is no better choice to represent the man. I say this because of the line from his biography in the Augustan History (SHA) while relating the activities of this wild-child emperor.
    " It was his wont also to hurl large coins into the cook-shops and therewith smash the cups."
    http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Historia_Augusta/Lucius_Verus*.html
    It is probable that his cup smashing days were over before the sestertii bore his portrait. My example shows him getting along with Aurelius.
    rc2380bb0763.jpg

Curtisimo, thank you for finding the time to be part of the CT family. I always enjoyed your posts from years past and look forward to more in the near future.

Attached Files:

9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

That commodus is spectacular. I wish I could have a nice one like that. Only have a poor example that got run through the chemical gamut!

Curtisimo likes this.
  10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

You have such well-chosen coins. Well done!

Curtisimo likes this.
  11. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Great set, congrats!

upload_2020-11-6_21-26-55.png

12. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I probably like the Nerva best because I really like those portraits of him where his image is so very craggy and with the sharp nose. I have one that is similar
    Nerva Ar Denarius 98 AD Obv Head of Nerva right laureate. Rv Aequitas standing left. RIC 44 3.64 grms 18 mm Photo by W. Hansen nervad8.jpg

13. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Curtis, That's truly an impressive group :jawdrop:! I'm a fine style freak who loves high grade coins, so my 1st pick was that stunning coin of Antoninus Pius, & the 2nd pick was the Commodus depicted as Hercules, for fine style & great condition :D. Most of the Roman coins I collect are much later than yours, so I have little to post in the date range that you collect :(. However, I'll post 4 coins from the family of Philip I, with wife & 2 coins of Philip II, one as Caesar & one as Augustus.

2101304-008, AK Collection.jpg 2101304-009, AK Collection.jpg 3988264-003, AK Collection.jpg 3988264-004, AK Collection.jpg

14. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Sensational set :wideyed::woot::troll:!!! Thanks so much for sharing and serious congratulations:)
    You set out to put together a set of interesting coins and have such the eye for beauty that you created a masterpiece of the 5+1 emps. Literally in awe if this assembly of these men.
    The good, the bad aaand then Commodus ;)
    IMG_5475.jpg share6931295016206892499.png share4664841476067502333.png share4865332921674394698.png share7878537547854338161.png

Yeah, yeah, I've got denarii of these two... but these coins are just soooooo much fun!
    share6658015938215512636.png 1403849E-858B-4F17-BB29-D7CA0F0B171B.jpg

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

16. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Congrats an achieving such a milestone, my friend! I'm in love with your Antoninus Pius and of course your Commodus!!

Your post made me pull out and take stock in the sestertii I have within this set:
    inCollage_20201106_211850856.jpg
    inCollage_20201106_211956949.jpg

17. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I might consider substituting some bronzes and provincials if I had my druthers, but these are all denarii. Obverses alone
    when the reverses aren't particularly interesting, and so I don't go over the image limit of 10 per post.

Nerva:

Nerva Obv 4.jpg

Trajan:

Trajan-Dacian in mourning jpg version.jpg
    Hadrian

Hadrian-Egypt 1d.jpg

Hadrian-Egypt 2a.jpg

Aelius Caesar

Aelius Caesar denarius jpg version.jpg

Antoninus Pius

Ant. Pius Obv. 1.jpg

Marcus Aurelius Caesar:

Use Marcus Aurelius Caesar, RIC 429(a), RSC 110 (DML coin, beardless).jpg

Marcus Aurelius as Augustus:

Marcus Aurelius-Providentia Obv 2.jpg

Lucius Verus:

Lucius Verus AR Denarius.jpg
    Commodus:
    Commodus Denarius jpg version.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  18. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

Great coins. Such awsome colors. I havent seen a few of those reverses. Very nice collection.

Curtisimo likes this.
  19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Magnificent set, Curtis! Not just beautiful examples, but highly interesting issues as well. The Hadrian and Commodus are my favorites.

Nerva - Den Clasped Hands.jpg
    NERVA
    AR Denarius. 2.88g, 17.4mm. Rome mint, AD 97. RIC 14; Cohen 20. O: IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P COS III P P, laureate head right. R: CONCORDIA EXERCITVVM, clasped hands.
    Ex Ratto Sale, 19 January 1956, lot 366

Trajan - Den Virtus ex Kelly 2989.jpg
    TRAJAN
    AR Denarius. 3.12g, 20.7mm. Rome mint, AD 114-117. RIC II 354 var. (bust type); BMCRE pg. 111 note; RSC 274c. O: IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. R: P M TR P COS VI PP S P Q R, Virtus standing right, holding spear and parazonium, left foot on helmet.
    Ex Michael Kelly Collection; ex John A. Seeger Collection

Hadrian - Den Oceanus.jpg HADRIAN
    AR Denarius. 2.98g, 19.1mm. Rome mint, AD 121-123. RIC II.3 520. O: IMP CAESAR TRAIAN HADRIANVS AVG, laureate bust right. R: P M TR P COS III, Oceanus reclining left on a dolphin, crab claw horns on his head, holding an anchor in his right hand.
    Ex E.E. Clain-Stefanelli Collection

Antoninus Pius - Den Felicitas early ex Peck 3930.jpg
    ANTONINUS PIUS
    AR Denarius. 3.02g, 18.1mm. Rome mint, 10 Jul - end AD 138. RIC III 4 corr. (bust type, obv legend); BMCRE pg 2, *; RSC 659a. O: IMP CAES AEL ANTONINVS AVG, bare head right. R: PONT MAX T R POT COS, Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and cornucopiae.
    Ex Phil Peck Collection

Marcus Aurelius - Den DE GERM 287.jpg
    MARCUS AURELIUS
    AR Denarius. 3.29g, 19mm. Rome mint, AD 177 AD. RIC 363; MIR 18, 368-4/30; RSC 156. O: M ANTONINVS AVG GERM SARM, laureate head right. R: TR P XXXI IMP XIII COS III P P, Pile of arms: scale cuirass, round and hexagonal shields, spears, standard and carnyx; DE GERM in exergue.

21. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thank you Mat! Commodus is my favorite as well.

Excellent collection of the 5!

Thank you happy_collector !

Draft saved Draft deleted