Nerva and the military

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Limes, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

With the current auction violence going on, during which almost every coin seems to break some sort of financial record, I finally pulled the trigger on this not-so-special coin, and without breaking any financial record whatsoever. It's a common 'clasped hands' denarius by Nerva, which I have been stalking online for almost a year and only last week decided to pull the trigger. (Shipment was very fast, excellent!) So, nothing special about this coin, but boy do I like it!
    Why? Well, first, the reverse shows a very interesting event during the peculiar reign of this peculiar emperor. Nerva, after being put forward as the new emperor by the murderers of Domitian, encountered resistance from the army, who favoured Domitian and were displeased with Nerva's accession to the throne. Attempts to please the army (to which the reverse of this coins alludes) failed, and after being held hostage by the Praetorian Guard in his palace, he gave in to their demands, and, amongst other things, adopted Trajan and named him is heir. Only 4 months later, Nerva would die of natural causes and Trajan would succeed him as one of the most succesful emperors in Roman imperial history. In short, this coin shows the important role the military played in Roman politics. Some say that Nerva, in one way or another, by adopting Trajan, determined the course of the era of the adoptive emperors. Other however see the short reign of Nerva of one just avoiding all-out anarchy, and that by adopting Trajan, Nerva showed that at least he had a talent for self preservation.
    The second reason I pulled the trigger on this one, is because it's simply such a beauty of a coin! The obverse in particular has a light and lustrous, slightly irridescent toning that proved too difficult to photograph unfortunately.

17.4.png

Thanks for reading. Please post your coins showing clasped hands, or otherwise coins that are not special, but you really enjoy.

singig, ambr0zie, zumbly and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice portrait on it.

nervadidra.jpeg
    Nerva (96 -98 A.D.)
    Cappadocia, Caesarea
    AR Didrachm
    O AVTOKPAT NEPOYAC KAICAP CEBACTOC YΠATΔ, Laurate head right.
    R: CEBACTOY TYXH, Tyche standing left holding rudder in right hand and cornucopiae in left.
    Cappadocia, Caesarea 97 A.D.
    20mm
    6.7g
    Sydenham 150, SNG von Aulock 6380

Published on Wildwinds!

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Coingrats on not getting a great coin without a third mortgage! And what an Excellent nose!
    As you can see mine has been handled as much as Nerva's handkerchief:
    share4852618574022572099.png

5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Thanks for the informative write-up @Limes. I've always felt that Nerva's brief reign inhabits something of a grey area concerning his effectiveness as Emperor. Regardless, in my opinion, Nerva was arguably a relatively weak ruler compared to his contemporaries due to his poor relations with the military and his advanced age. Anyway, here's my only issue of Nerva that I own as of now. I acquired this particular coin from Aegean Numismatics on VCoins this past December for the princely sum of $65.

E052FD07-1C6B-4D77-882E-2731E021585A.jpeg

Nerva
    AR Denarius
    97 A.D.
    Obverse: IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P II COS III P P, laureate head right
    Reverse: CONCORDIA EXERCITVVM, clasped hands.
    Diameter: 17mm
    Weight: 3.20g

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    singig, ambr0zie, Limes and 12 others like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..a fine clasped hander, congrats! :)...i've yet to get one...

Limes likes this.
  8. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Nice one, Limes!

Here’s Pupienus, buddying up with the generals.

Sear 8521 Pupienus.jpg

9. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Balbinus

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Balbinus (Augustus)
    Coin: AE Antoninianus
    IMP CAES D CAEL BALBINVS AVG - Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Balbinus right.
    FIDES MVTVA AVGG - Clasped hands.
    Mint: (238 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 4.49g / 22mm / -
    Reference RIC 10

singig, ominus1, ambr0zie and 13 others like this.
  10. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

11. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Plautilla and Caracalla clasping hands. That sure turned out well.

Plautilla (wife of Caracalla; issued under Septimius Severus), AR Denarius, 203-204 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right, hair in horizontal waves and drawn into large bun at back, PLAVTILLAE AVGVSTAE / Rev. Caracalla standing left, holding volumen with left hand and clasping right hands with Plautilla standing right, PROPAGO IMPERI. Short hairline flan crack. RIC IV (Caracalla) 362, RSC III (Plautilla) 21, Sear RCV II 7073 (ill.). 18 mm., 3.30 g., 6 h. [First appearance of reverse legend PROPAGO IMPERI, celebrating the hoped-for continuation of the Severan house through the union of Caracalla and Plautilla. Cf. RIC IV 367, showing Pietas (representing Plautilla) on reverse holding child, believed to have been issued to celebrate the 204 AD birth of child who died in infancy.]

Plautilla denarius - Plautilla & Caracalla reverse.jpg

singig, Andres2, ominus1 and 12 others like this.
  12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Fun write-up and lovely coin, @Limes! There's quite the dexiosis going on in this thread! Here are some of my hand-shaking coins:

[​IMG]
    Nerva, AD 96-98.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.21 g, 18.5 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, January - September, AD 97.
    Obv: IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P COS III P P, laureate head, right.
    Rev: CONCORDIA EXERCITVVM, clasped hands.
    Refs: RIC 14; BMCRE 25-26; Cohen/RSC 20; RCV 3020; CBN 15.

Faustina Sr CONCORDIAE denarius.jpg
    Faustina Senior, AD 138-141.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.73g, 17mm.
    Rome, AD 142.
    Obv: DIVA AVG FAVSTINA, draped bust right.
    Rev: CONCORDIA, Antoninus standing right, holding scroll, clasping right hands with Faustina I, standing left, holding sceptre.
    Refs: RIC 381b; BMCRE 288; RCV 4592; Cohen 159.

Julia Paula Concordia Emperor and Empress Denarius.jpg
    Julia Paula, AD 219-220.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.16 g, 18.6 mm.
    Antioch, AD 219.
    Obv: IVLIA PAVLA AVG, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: CONCORDIA, emperor and empress standing facing each other, clasping hands.
    Refs: RIC 214; BMCRE 318-320; Cohen 12; RCV 7656; CRE 454.

[​IMG]
    Orbiana, wife of Severus Alexander, Augusta AD 225-227.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 20.02 g, 28.6 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, special marriage issue, AD 225.
    Obv: SALL BARBIA ORBIANA AVG, diademed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: CONCORDIA AVGVSTORVM S C, Severus Alexander, togate, standing right, holding scroll in left hand and clasping right hands with Orbiana, veiled and draped, standing left.
    Refs: RIC 657; BMCRE 301; Cohen 6; RCV 8194; Banti 3.

[​IMG]
    Severina, AD 270-275.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 4.01 g, 24.2 mm.
    Serdica, issue 8, AD 274-275.
    Obv: SEVERINA AVG, diademed and draped bust right on crescent.
    Rev: CONCORDIA AVGG, emperor and empress clasping hands, * in field between them; KA Δ in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 16; MER/RIC temp no 2827; RCV 11703; Cohen 2.

Maximian CONCORDIA MILITVM antoninianus.jpg
    Maximian, AD 286-308.
    Roman Æ Antoninianus, 3.78 mm, 23.0 mm, 12 h.
    Cyzicus, AD 293-294.
    Obv: IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS AVG, radiate and draped bust right.
    Rev: CONCORDIA MILITVM•, Emperor standing right, receiving Victory from Jupiter standing left; Г/XII•.
    Refs: RIC 607; Cohen 53; RCV 13115.

And a modern (forgive me) exploration of the theme ...

2004-jefferson-nickel-peace-medal.jpg

13. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

And then there is the bronze version:
    NervaDupConcordia.jpg
    Nerva. 96-98 AD. Æ Dupondius (28mm, 11.29 gm, 6h). Rome mint. Struck 97 AD. Obv: Radiate head right. Rev: CONCORDIA EXERCITVVM, two clasped hands holding a legionary eagle on a prow. RIC 81; C 32.

14. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

With apologies for the horrible photo - a clasped hand drachm of Trajan. This seems to be considerably scarcer than the Arabia with Camel type issued around the same time:

Trajan - Cappadocia Drachm clasped hands $19.99 BIN Feb 2017a.jpg
    Trajan Drachm
    Caesaria, Cappadocia
    (112-114 A.D.)

[ΑΥΤΟΚ]Ρ ΚΑΙϹ ΝΕΡ ΤΡΑΙΑΝΟϹ ϹΕΒ ΓΕΡΜ ΔΑΚ ΔAK, laureate and draped bust right / [ΔHMAPXE] ΞYΠATOϚ clasped hands holding legionary standard on prow.
    RPC 3030; Syd 223a.
    (3.14 grams / 18 mm)

I bought this on eBay, but it came with retail packaging - it was sold as a denarius, which was probably its equivalent. Not sure it makes the "nice very fine" grade as advertised, but I only paid $19.99:
    Trajan - Cappadocia Drachm clasped hands $19.99 BIN Feb 2017.jpg

singig, Andres2, Johndakerftw and 9 others like this.
  15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice one, Limes. Nerva even looks like he has abit of a snarl there. I have one of the same type that I'm very fond of.

Nerva - Den Clasped Hands.jpg NERVA
    AR Denarius. 2.88g, 17.4mm. Rome mint, AD 97. RIC 14; Cohen 20. O: IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P COS III P P, laureate head right. R: CONCORDIA EXERCITVVM, clasped hands.
    Ex Ratto Sale, 19 January 1956, lot 366

singig, Marsyas Mike, Bing and 7 others like this.
  16. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I have one coin with clasped hands and I like it, although from what I see it was improperly cleaned or even worse, somebody tried toning it artificially.
    upload_2021-3-25_11-1-23.png

Antoninus Pius AD 138-161. Rome Denarius AR 19 mm., 2,90 g.
    RIC III Antoninus Pius 136
    Date Range: AD 145 - AD 161
    Obverse Legend: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P; Type: Head of Antoninus Pius, laureate, right
    Reverse Legend: COS IIII; Type: Clasped hands holding caduceus between two corn-ear

Funny thing is that I keep thinking about a Nerva with clasped hands, similar to the one presented in the opening message. Saw it half a year ago, a guy wanted to sell it (offline) but I didn't even ask the price as I thought a that time that Nerva coins are very expensive. I think I will meet this guy again in the weekend, who knows :D

singig, Marsyas Mike, Bing and 4 others like this.
  17. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the replies, and lovely coins are shown. I really enjoy seeing the dexiosis reverses ;)

Yes, it makes one wonder how come he was put forward as emperor. However, he had a good track record and had fulfilled several high positions. Did the murderers of Domitian, who elevated Nerva to the throne, underestimate the power of the military?

That's a great portrait! And good photo's too, it makes the coin come alive so to say. My portrait displays Nerva a bit like a grumpy old man. The difference is in the eyebrows. :)

As he ruled a mere two years, his coins are not that abundant, but expensive, no. According to Clive Foss in his book, the coin with the clasped hands is the most common of his coins. Shouldn't be too expensive!

singig, DonnaML and zumbly like this.
  18. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Now I know that particular coin shouldn't be expensive, of course, but at that time I was under the impression it is. It was something between F and VF so nothing special, but I would like it, hope he still has it. There is a chance, as he doesn't sell anything online.

Another coin I enjoy, not rare, not expensive, certainly not FDC is also a Nerva coin. I bought it for 2 reasons (and I think I overpaid a little for my expectations - 50 EUR + fees)
    upload_2021-3-25_12-0-28.png

RIC II Nerva 24 (denarius), RSC 48
    Date: AD 97
    Obverse Legend: IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR POT
    Type: Head of Nerva, laureate, right
    Reverse Legend: COS III PATER PATRIAE
    Type: Simpulum, sprinkler, ewer and lituus (simpulum, aspegillum, jug, lituus)

Main 2 reasons for buying (and liking) this coin - My first Nerva denarius (I have a provincial and a quadrans) and also my first coin with pontifical elements as I really wanted one.

Draft saved Draft deleted