Nerva and good fortune

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsman, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Marsman

Marsman Well-Known Member

I sure hope Fortuna will bring good luck to all of us during this difficult times.
    I couldn’t resist this Nerva portrait. Actually, I was not looking for an as, but for a sestertius, cause I want to complete the period of the good emperors in sestertii. Sestertii of Nerva in good quality are quite expensive. Still waiting for one but very happy with this as with the goddess Fortuna on the reverse.
    As always love Nerva’s prominent nose :)

6DA122FD-469F-4C76-B46D-6B390B3E18D4.jpeg

Nerva, As
    AD 97, Rome
    10,90 g. 29,50 mm
    Obv: IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P COS III P P, laureate bust of Nerva right
    Rev: FORTVNA AVGVST / S C, Fortuna standing left, holding a rudder in her right hand & cornucopia in her left hand.
    RIC 83

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    dlhill132, Sulla80, Edessa and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Nice one. I only have the Dupondius version of FORTVNA AVGVST. Same obverse and reverse legend, but a bit smaller (27mm 8.19g) and also in pretty bad shape....

D7C386E1-329A-482E-8B06-1443C3594B5B.jpeg

4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Nice coin, Marsman. Beautiful toning.
    Here's my as--it's not a nice as yours. Nerva looks pretty young here. I guess the celator was trying to flatter him:
    [​IMG]
    Rome mint, A.D. 97
    Obv: IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P COS III P P
    Rev: AEQVITAS AVGVST - Aquitas, standing, facing left, holding scales and cornucopiae, between S and C
    RIC 77
    26x23mm, 11.4g.

5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats Marsman, beautifull As.

P1180560.JPG
    Nerva fortuna.JPG

6. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

That is a very pleasing coin. I would not be too quick to turn it in for something better.

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Yes, they are expensive, @Marsman , but that's a lovely as you've added to your collection. The middle bronzes of Nerva are much more affordable and yet they are still very artistically rendered. I have an as of this emperor, too:

[​IMG]
    Nerva, AD 96-98.
    Roman Æ as, 11.96 g, 26.3 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 97.
    Obv: IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P COS III P P, radiate head, right.
    Rev: LIBERTAS PVBLICA S C, Libertas standing left, holding pileus and scepter.
    Refs: RIC 86; BMCRE 131; Cohen 115; RCV --; ERIC II 152.

We often think of Nerva as an "old emperor," but he was only 67 when he died -- younger than many of us here. I, too, had envisioned him as in his eighties or something, but then I did a bit of research when I posted a thread about old emperors, and learned that he was about 65 when he assumed the purple.

8. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful addition.
    I was in the same spot as @Marsman .. trying to finish off a set of the Adoptive Emperors in sestertii. Due to cost I settled on a Nerva dupondius.
    I have since seen a few Nerva Sestertius within my budget but I am fine having an
    Adoptive Emperors Set in Bronze.

upload_2020-4-26_8-55-21.png

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

NERVA - DUPONDIUS

Although the Empire only paid "lip-service" to it, I like the Libertas ideal.

upload_2020-4-26_9-13-36.png
    RI Nerva AE Dupondius 96-98 CE LIBERTAS PVBLICA -pileus
    Ex: @TIF (missin' on her contributions)

10. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

That's a good looking As! Here is my fortuna of Nerva, the dupondius denomination.
    17.2.png

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While I wait for the worn but clear and smooth sestertius, I enjoy my rough dupondius.
    rc1620bb1715.jpg

12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

My Nerva from Alexandria...

Type: Billon Tetradrachm, 25mm, 12.7 grams, mint of Alexandria year 96-97 A.D.

Obverse: Bust of Nerva facing right, KAIS SEB AVT NEPOVAS

Reverse: Agathodaemon serpent coiled with head right, holding caduceus and grain ear within coils, wearing the crowns of Upper and Lower Egypt. In exergue, LA.

Reference: Milne 542, Dattari 638 (rare)

nervatet.jpg

13. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

It's interesting to see all of these Nerva examples. Very nice coin to start the thread, @Marsman! Here's a denarius:

Nerva Denarius.png

Nerva (96-98 AD). AR Denarius. Rome mint. Struck 97 AD. IMP NERVΛCΛES ΛVG P M TR POT, laureate head right / COS III PΛTER PΛTRIΛE, priestly emblems: simpulum, aspergillum, guttus, and lituus. 18mm. 2.98 g.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    dlhill132, Johndakerftw, Bing and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted