Nero

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Kentucky, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Mikey Zee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

The other coins look OK to me, but the Nero is heavily faked, so let one of the others come in and give an opinion. I don't suppose there is any chance of seeing a photo of the edge of the coin?

Kentucky likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Wish there were, but this is the photos he posted in Craigslist.

5. Pishpash

Ah, sorry. I am in the UK so I don't do Craigslist.

6. Pishpash

The coins should be easy to find on Vcoins. Check the prices there and see if his prices is within that. Then decide whether you want to take a risk on the Nero. There is a bit of green on him, strategically placed, not sure whether that is good or not.

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Honestly $150 for the coins pictured isn't that bad. That Nero looks OK and is a tetradrachm left facing no less which is scarcer then the right facing. The Gordy and Constantine are OK for their type. You can maybe knock the price down to $135 or so if you choose to buy from that person.

But in general, Nero coinage is pretty common. His Denarii and tetradrachms are readily available despite being a "name" emperor.

Alegandron, TIF and Mikey Zee like this.
  8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I think Mat has it down pat....and I agree with him 100%

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

If you read the instructions from Craig's List you will see they suggest meeting in a public place and not going alone. His requirement to go to his place might be honest or it might be a vacant apartment where he plans to take your $150. Craig's List does not have a good reputation in this way.

10. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

What Doug says has merit. In my town someone met another man to sell him an iphone when the person he was supposed to meet, robbed and fatally shot him. Another instance a pastor also trying to sell a phone was beaten and robbed in broad daylight in front of his church. Many towns offer to allow people do do transactions in the police station parking lot. I suggest daylight hours and if you and take your piece.
    [​IMG]

Kentucky, Alegandron and stevex6 like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

"I don't have a means of transportation so buyer would need to pick up," says the guy with the coins.

Deal or not, I would never go to a stranger's house for a Craig's List transaction.

Looking at the map, there are many businesses within a block. If you are determined to get these coins, perhaps meet at a nearby business. Scope it out well before the meeting time, find parking very close to the meeting place, arrive early, and bring a bunch of friends.

Kentucky, Alegandron and Pishpash like this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, all "3" coins are gorgeous, so I would definitely bite on the lure "if" they're authentic (but there's the rub, eh? => that's why I buy my stuff from people who'll back-up their goods with a lifetime guarantee, etc, etc)

... but I guess I'd definitely pay more for all three if I bought them from my usual fishin' holes (I guess it's a bit of a gamble) ... hey, but on the positive-side, Mat thinks that they're real, right?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Kentucky likes this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Show-up wearing this puppy ...

[​IMG]

SIDENOTE => this dude has great coins, but for some reason I have a bad feeling about him, ya know?

han the coin guy.jpg

Han, the Coin-Man

ancientnut, TIF and Kentucky like this.
  14. Kentucky

Thanks for all the replies. I live in Camarillo and according to the Craigslist listing, he says he is in Ojai, which is 10-15 miles away, but the phone number is Las Vegas...hmmm...kind of makes you pause. I did answer a Craigslist from a retirement community here and the guy just had a lot of coins he had collected and wanted to get some bucks for. Unfortunately it was nothing I wanted so I steered him to a dealer I do business with, but still no go. Who wants a Jefferson nickel collection (no real cherries).

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The Vegas phone number alone wouldn't necessarily be worrisome if it is a cell phone. Many people no longer have land lines and since most people have cell phones which incur no long distance charges, there isn't a need for a local number.

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Yeah, my daughter in Portland, OR has a CA phone #.

Draft saved Draft deleted