Nero tetradrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, Apr 12, 2021.

1. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Nero tetradrachm with Alexandria wearing an elephant headdress (wonder how would it looked in real life!).
    Year 12 (65-66 AD)
    11.80 grams
    Nero tet.jpg
    I've always wanted one of these billion tetradrachms, and questioned why Roman Alexandrian coins have poor workmanship and low silver content (even the nicer ones) compared to coins of other mints or even the older Alexandrian issues?!
    Anyhow, I got a big brother to go with my Imperial issue:)
    t.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

That is a lovely type which I don't have. I do have this one, which is one of my favorites:

Egypt, Alexandria: Nero (54-68 CE) BI Tetradrachm, RY14 (Köln 203-204; Dattari (Savio) 244; Milne 298-299; Emmett 129)

Obv: NEΡΩ KΛAV KAIΣ ΣEB ΓΕΡ AV; radiate head of Nero left, wearing aegis; LI∆ to left
    Rev: ΠΟΣEIΔWN IΣΘMIΟΣ; bust of Poseidon right, wearing taenia, slight drapery on left shoulder; trident behind, star to right

[​IMG]

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's my Nero tet:

Nero from Alexandria:

Type: Billon Tetradrachm, 25mm 12.73 grams

Obverse: NERW KLAY KAIS SEB GER, Radiate crowned head facing right.

Reverse: AVTO-KRA, Draped bust of Egyptian god Serapis facing right, wearing Kalathos (basket) on head, date LI (year 10)

Reference: Milne 222, Koln 160, RPC 5274, BMCGr 156: Sear 2001.

[​IMG]

5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

6. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Very cool reverse type, love the elephant headdress.

A866A551-A067-47AD-9E72-6ED7A2E97E5A.jpeg
    Nero, Tetradrachm, Alexandria, (22 mm, 13.54g), 66-67 AD, NEPΩ KΛAY KAIΣ ΣEB ΓEP AY, Radiate bust of Nero to left, wearing aegis; Rev. TIBEPIOΣ KAIΣAP, Radiate head of Tiberius to right. RPC I 5295

507F83C9-9859-4999-B4D1-065EEAA55F4C.png
    Nero, Alexandria, BI Tetradrachm, (24 mm, 13.08g), 64-65 AD (RY 11.), ΝΕΡΩ ΚΛΑY ΚΑΙΣ ΣΕΒ ΓΕΡ Radiate bust of Nero to right, wearing aegis./ Rev. ΑΥΤΟΚΡΑ - L ΙA Eagle, wings closed, standing left with palm frond behind; in field to right, simpulum. RPC I 5284.

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice snare @JayAg47 , congrats.

A TET from Alexandria with his Wife:

upload_2021-4-12_9-45-23.png
    Nero billon tetradrachm of Alexandria Egypt, r. bust of Poppaea, LI ry.10 63-64AD
    Milne 217, RPC 5275
    obv. Radiate head of Nero right
    rev. Draped bust of Poppea right, LI before
    diameter: 23mm
    weight: 12.8g

A TET from Antioch

upload_2021-4-12_9-46-15.png
    Antioch, Syria
    Nero Regnal year 8, Caesarian year 110, (AD 61/62)
    AR Tetradrachm 25 mm x 14.05 grams
    Obverse: NERWNOS KAISAROS SEBASTOU, Laureate bust right, wearing aegis.
    Reverse: Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, palm branch before, H/IP behind.
    Ref: RPC4182
    Ex: @Ancientnoob

8. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Here is another Nero Tet from Antioch, Syria :happy:.
    Prieur 86, AK Collection.jpg

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Higher percentage of silver in the Antioch tets, it looks like.

JayAg47 likes this.
  10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My only Nero tetradrachm from Alexandria appears to be the same type (and same year) as @JayAg47's.

Nero, Billon Tetradrachm, Year 12 (65/66 AD), Alexandria, Egypt Mint. Obv. Radiate bust of Nero with aegis, right, ΝΕΡΩ ΚΛΑV ΚΑΙΣ ΣΕΒ ΓΕΡ / Rev. Bust of Alexandria, right, wearing elephant headdress, AYTO-KPA around, LIB [Year 12] in right field. RPC I 5289, Emmett 109.12, Milne 238, K&G 14.88. 20x23 mm., 12.11 g.

Nero-Alexandria Tetradrachm COMBINED.jpg

It's very true that Roman Alexandrian tetradrachms later than a certain point have much less silver than other Roman Provincial tets (and often look like they have no silver at all in them) -- so much so that they're always described as billon (= <50% silver, usually much less), rather than AR. But this particular Alexandrian tet, the earliest I have, happens to look more much silvery than any of the others (except for my one Claudius tet), even though it's also described as billon.

11. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Cool coins everyone! As a pure coincidence, yesterday I won 2 tetradrachms (Antioch and Alexandria) but not from Nero. This denomination was missing from my collection and I was aware of Alexandria and Antioch ones, so why not. Budget friendly coins - perhaps I will show them when they arrive.

12. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Nero Ar Tetradrachm Antioch 63-64 AD Obv Bust right laureate wearing aegis around neck. Rv. Eagle standing right on thunderbolt wings open. Prieur 89 RPC 4189 14.83 grms 24 mm antnero3.jpg The eastern tetradrachm issues of Nero look more or less straightforward, however there is a possibility that the issues are rather more complicated. There have been some scholarship that has tried to divide his coins into at least three separate groups, the issues of Antioch with coins minted at the same standard from the mints of Tyre as well as possibly even Alexandria in Egypt. This coin has been cited as being from that latter group.

JayAg47, Shea19, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted