Nero, Grand Champion

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sulla80, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

upload_2021-4-25_10-1-9.png
    Charles Meynier, 1798, Apollo & Urania, Cleveland Museum of Art, Creative Commons 1.0 License

In AD 67, Nero went on a grand tour of Greece, chafing the norms of decorum with his participation in games, including music (kithara or lyre) and chariot events, and his theatrical (perhaps fraudulent is a better word) garnering of awards:

"Nero stayed in Greece for more than a year participating in all the major and minor festivals. He took part in the Actian games at Nicopolis which had been established by Augustus to celebrate his victory at Actium over Mark Anthony. In addition, he entered himself as competitor in many events and won the title "Periodonikes" victor [circuit-victor], in all four major Games [Olympia, Delphi, Nemea and the Isthmus]. He loved and practiced wrestling all the time and everywhere in Greece he watched the athletic competitions like the officials of the games. He not only won at competitions in which he took part, but even in those in which he did not. The name of Olympian victor rang as gloriously in his ear as any title of Roman imperial distinction. He gained about 1,800 prizes in various festivals."
    - Mouratidis, Nero: The Artist, the Athlete and His Downfall, p.18

This coin commemorates the Nemean Games of August 66 or 67 AD, the athletic and musical competition held every 4 years in the grove of Zeus Nemeios in the city of Argos. Nero is said to have competed in these games. The winners of the Nemean games were crowned with celery leaves as Zeus is crowned on this coin. Laurel leaves were used at other games.
    Nero Alexandria Zeus Nemeios.jpg
    Egypt, Alexandria, Nero, AD 54-68, BI tetradrachm, dated year 14=A.D. 67/8, scarce type
    Obv: NEPΩ KΛAV KAIΣ ΣEB ΓEP AV, L IΔ (date), radiate head left, wearing aegis
    Rev: NEMEIOΣ ZEVΣ, head of Zeus Nemeios right, crowned with celery leaves
    Ref: Milne 279; Emmett 136; RPC 5308
    Note: much more information in "Nero, Periodonikes"

As Periodonikes, winner of the grand-slam of Greek athletics, Nero celebrated in Rome in a chariot of white horses, surrounded by victory wreaths, the same chariot used by Augustus in triumph. This surely didn't add to the Roman elite's disdain for Greek athletics or Nero, even if there might have been some popular enjoyment of the spectacle.

Comments, coins, corrections, and additional references are always appreciated.

Share your coins connected to Greek and Roman games or anything else that you find interesting or entertaining.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Nero played the Kithara so well and long, the audience fell asleep.
    My favourite Nero:

Nero apollo (2).jpg

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice Tet, @Sulla80 , and great writeup. Thank you!

General VESPASIANUS fell asleep at a Nero event... look where THAT got him! :)

upload_2021-4-25_9-22-1.png
    RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AE Dupondius Felicitas stdg caduceus cornucopia sinister left

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This tetradrachm of Nero from Alexandria was one of my first ancient coin purchases:

[​IMG]
    Nero and Poppaea Sabina.
    Roman provincial billon Tetradrachm; 23.1 mm, 11.55 g.
    Egypt, Alexandria, AD 64/65.
    Obv: ΝΕΡΩ ΚΛΑV ΚΑΙΣ ΣΕΒ ΓΕΡ ΑV, radiate head of Nero, right.
    Rev: ΠΟΠΠΑΙΑ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΗ, draped bust of Poppaea, right, LIA (year 11) before.
    Refs: RCV 2002; SGI 664; RPC 5280; Köln 168; BMCG 124; Milne 223; Curtis 138; Cohen 315, 3; Emmett 128.

This type is less commonly encountered:

[​IMG]
    Nero and Claudia Octavia.
    Roman provincial billon tetradrachm, 11.1 g, 25.0 mm.
    Egypt, Alexandria, AD 56-57.
    Obv: ΝΕΡ ΚΛΑΥ ΚΑΙΣ ΣΕΒ ΓΕΡ ΑΥΤΟ, laureate head of Nero, right.
    Rev: ΟΚΤΑΟΥΙΑ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΥ, bare-headed and draped bust of Octavia, right; L Γ before.
    Refs: RPC 5202; BMC 119; SGI 657; Cologne 122; Milne 133; Emmett 127.

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Very cool coin commemorating grown men wearing celery leaves on their heads!
    Here is a recent win that listed as unique, but I found a few variations, though, none both facing left.
    Wait, is that a Macedonian shield? Hint: Yes. Yes it is:)
    1759077_1615408029.l-removebg-preview.png
    Macedon. Koinon of Macedon. Beroea mint. Nero AD 54-68.
    Bronze Æ, 30 mm, 15,68 g
    Obv: Nero facing left. ΝΕΡΩΝ ΚΑΙΣΑΡ
    Rev: Mars standing, l., holding wreath and spear; to r., Macedonian shield. ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΩΝ
    Axis: 1, 12
    Reference: AMNG 240–1, BMC 147. RIC I, 1613
    nearly very fine
    11 known specimens
    Savoca listed as Unpublished variety. Purchased Savoca March 2021

7. Alegandron

NERO Tets

upload_2021-4-25_9-41-55.png
    Antioch, Syria
    Nero Regnal year 8, Caesarian year 110, (AD 61/62)
    AR Tetradrachm 25 mm x 14.05 grams
    Obverse: NERWNOS KAISAROS SEBASTOU, Laureate bust right, wearing aegis.
    Reverse: Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, palm branch before, H/IP behind.
    Ref: RPC4182

upload_2021-4-25_9-43-59.png
    billon tetradrachm
    Alexandria Egypt,
    LI ry.10 63-64AD
    obv. Radiate head of Nero right
    rev. Draped bust of Poppea right, LI before
    23mm, 12.8g
    Milne 217, RPC 5275

8. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Couple of my Nero coins!
    Nero tetr.jpg
    NERO sal.png

9. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Many nice Neros in the thread, @Andres2 I am adding a Thessalien Nero with Lyre to my want list. @Alegandron, I guess falling asleep in a Nero performance gets you well enough rested to create a new dynasty? Here's a coin with a prize crown on the reverse from the Worldwide games of Commodus.
    Commodus Games.jpg
    Cilicia Pedias, Tarsus, Commodus, 177-192 AD, Æ 27mm (12.64, 7h)
    Obv: [ΑVΤ ΚΑΙ(Ϲ) ΑVΡ ΚΟΜΟΔΟϹ ϹƐΒ] Mantled bust right, wearing demiourgic crown; club of Hercules in left field
    Rev: ΑΔΡ ΚΟΜ ΤΑΡ ΜΗ Β ΝƐⲰΚΟ (twice Neokorie), agonistic crown inscribed ΚΟΜΟΔƐ (Kommodeios); above, ΟΙΚΟ/VΜƐ (worldwide).
    Expanded Legend: HADRianeia, KOMmodeios - TARsos MEtropolis
    Ref: RPC IV.3 5845 (temporary)
    Notes: Tarsus was the first city in Cilicia to receive the title Neokoros and a temple dedicated to the cult of Hadrian, during the reign of Hadrian circa AD 130. A second temple was dedicated to Commodus during his reign, before August 191. The Kommodeios Isolympic Worldwide Festival was held in honor of this temple. Commodus, as reincarnated Hercules, probably honored Tarsos because its city god was Hercules.[*] More on games here.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  10. Alegandron

LOL, nailed it!

Sulla80 likes this.
  11. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

A few Neros. I'm afraid none has anything to do with his competitive musical and athletic endeavors:

IVPPITER CVSTOS:

Nero AR Denarius - IVPPITER CVSTOS jpg version.jpg

SALVS:

Detail Nero-Salus denarus, RIC I 71, RSC II 316 (2).jpg
    Temple of Janus:

Nero - Temple of Janus - As  jpg version.jpg

Nero & Alexandria:

Nero-Alexandria Tetradrachm COMBINED.jpg

This C. Marcius Censorinus denarius with a desultor on the reverse has nothing to do with Nero, but does memorialize the Ludi Apollinares:

C. Marcius Censorinus - desultor on horseback on reverse - jpg version.jpg

For music, here's a Gordian III with Apollo and a lyre on the reverse:

Gordian III Ant. - Apollo reverse - jpg version.jpg

12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

its good to be the king/emperor
    ..i lost out on one of those and had to buy these 2 to make up for it...and imma gonna get one too, someday..:D Nero SPQR   Antiocus ll lyre apollo 001.JPG Nero SPQR   Antiocus ll lyre apollo 002.JPG Nero Flying Victory As, Antiochus ll Theos, Athena, lyre

13. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Wow, what a great coin! I wasn't even aware of the existence of this tet. Here's my most relevant Nero, which I bought for related reasons:

nero apollo.jpg
    AE As, Apollo/Nero w/ kithara or lyre

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  14. ominus1

..that's an 'O-wow!' coin SA! :)

Severus Alexander likes this.
  15. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

As of Nero with reverse of the emperor performing, playing lyre...

640103_0_original.jpg

16. ominus1

..."O wow" x 2!...:)

octavius and Severus Alexander like this.
  17. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

More like x5... 1 for mine and 4 for @octavius's! :D I do love mine though, a sleeper in a CNG auction last year.

Mine is an RIC 210, issued in 64 (the year of the Great Fire), and Octavius's is an RIC 122, issued in 63. His is one of the few orichalcum Asses. (I see the auction house, Hess Divo, misidentified it as RIC 210.)

18. ominus1

well, they're both great SA...:)

Draft saved Draft deleted