Nero Claudius Drusus - Fake

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Alwin, May 25, 2020.

1. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

Some years ago I bought this coin:

[​IMG]

Fortunately, I quickly realized that this coin was a fake, and I returned the coin to the seller (by losing however a part of my money, because the seller was only partly honest!).
    You can see 3 other examples of this fake in ForgeryNetwork (no 10862 - 9898 - 9899).
    Today I find an identical coin in the Roma 71 Sale, no 858.
    I reported it to them, with details, in the early afternoon (French time) but, for the moment, I have no response and the coin is still on sale...

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

You are correct these are fake. They are transfer die fakes. The host coin was off center, cutting off the reverse legend at 10:00. I’ve seen maybe 10 of these over the years. If I recall the host coin was the Feirstein example.

in hand they clearly aren’t struck and aren’t very deceptive.

Barry Murphy

Theodosius, Alegandron, Ryro and 2 others like this.
  4. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Maybe I'm mistaken but a good look at the Roma coin doesn't look like your coin.

Barry Murphy likes this.
  5. Barry Murphy

05E61EB9-593E-4AAD-B3F6-48F39081601D.jpeg The Roma coin is a transfer die forgery also. These aren’t casts so they won’t look exactly the same. What is the same is the trace of the edge of the host coin that cuts off the lettering on the reverse.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  6. Barry Murphy

7. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Hi Barry. I have noticed quite a few of this type in autions the last months, but I haven’t looked at them thoroughly. Is this a «new epidemic», or has this particular fake been around for a long time?

Roman Collector likes this.
  8. Barry Murphy

It’s been around since 2006ish or so. I don’t recall exactly when I saw the first one but it was awhile ago.

Barry

Roman Collector and svessien like this.
  9. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

2004 for "mine".

Roman Collector likes this.
  10. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

This coin is still listed in the current auction. Perhaps they haven’t been able to keep up with emails? I’m assuming this is the case....Has anyone heard from them about this? It would be very disappointing if this is left unresolved prior to the auction’s closing.

11. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I just sent a message to Alice regarding this lot, with a link to this tread.

Hopefully I hear back tomorrow.

12. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

More than 48 hours later, still no response to my message, is it really serious?

13. Agricantus

Agricantus Allium aflatunense

How is the coin in hand? Is it a good fake? Can one tell without the info about the other transfer die fakes? The image alone looks fine.

@Alwin thanks for posting this. The coin was withdrawn. Not sure why they did not respond to you

14. Barry Murphy

These look pressed in hand. Honestly not deceptive. No flow lines, edges wrong. I’ve handled 4 of them.

Barry Murphy

15. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

It is difficult for me to explain correctly in English, but look to the "half letters" of the legend.
    [​IMG]

Agricantus likes this.
  16. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

The half letters are what Barry has been referring to.

17. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I just went to the Roma Numismatics website and checked for lot #858 of the current auction. Apparently it has been removed - "Lot does not exist".

Draft saved Draft deleted