Needs helpful website

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by noname, Apr 22, 2016.

1. noname

noname Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a lot of 30 15th-18th century Spanish coppers, mostly maravedis. I'd like a good website(s) that can help me identify the coins. Any help is appreciated thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

show us some pics here...

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's probably the best advice you'll get. That said, I think what you're searching for is probably called a book, not a website. In this day and age it seems that a lot of folks think there are web sites for anything, everything. Well, there aren't.

Sure there's a lot of information on websites about coins, but there's a whole lot more that is not on any website. Even today most of what people want to know has to be found in a book.

spirityoda and green18 like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What is a book? Without photos, we can't help you.

Chris

-jeffB likes this.
  6. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

If you want a really good chuckle (if not a real belly laugh) check YouTube for "The book" (a brief skit by two Norwegians from several years ago). For all of us older folks, who were baffled when computers first came out, this skit references the same fears of folks who had to make the switch from scrolls to books. I've watched it so many times that I almost know it by heart, but laugh every time.

Steve

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I envy you modern collectors if in fact you have books to cover everything. I collect ancients and have several hundred bound paper things but to majority of them are either out of date or cover so small a part of a subject that finding a match between a question and an answer is a matter of luck. Certainly the situation is not better for websites but we are working on it. For example the hopelessly out of date and incomplete book Roman Imperial Coinage volume V part 1 has an update in progress in the form of a French website which has a better chance of reaching completion than does any paper based project.

Worst, in my opinion, is the fact that so many books and websites concentrate on cataloging what is known to exist but skims over the whys, hows and other side trips into understanding the coinage in question. There are exceptions like a couple recent print format volumes on very short periods in the 1st century BC Roman Republican coinage by Michael Harlan. These cover 81BC to 49BC in Rome beyond the 'what' but are not matched by the thousand other periods we might like.

I appreciate the old saying suggesting we 'buy the book' but when we suggest someone do this I'd prefer there were a book worth buying on the subject in question. I know nothing about modern Spanish coppers so I know nothing to recommend or whether it exists as a website or a book. In ancients, I fear the trend in publishing is going more to softcopy simply because a paper and boards book needs to be very general and popular if it is to have hope for covering expenses. Will this make paper based information part of the experience of noname's generation as it was with ours?

8. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I wish!

Are you talking about modern U.S., or Canada, Britain, Germany, and the other, "most-commonly-collected" world coins? Sure.

How about trying to find any text, electronic or paper format, about modern Japanese coins in the English language that covers something beyond what is easily found in a world coin compendium, like Krause's SCWC?

Who were the designers of these coins? What was the rationale or impetus behind the minting of each of these coins? Basically, what is the whole history behind these coins?

Knowing the little I do about the collecting community/hobby in Japan, and the proliferation of publishing in Japan, I'm almost 100% sure that such texts do exist. Of course, the problem for us non-Japanese speaking/literate people is our lack of ability in Japanese, and (I think just as important) the lack of availability of those print-only texts outside of Japan.

And Japanese moderns are only ONE example.

9. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Uploaded pictures 31 coins, mostly 1500-1600s and several medieval and renaissance coins

Attached Files:

10. GDJMSP

Doug I agree with your comments, to a degree. There are many books that are "incomplete" to say the least, and they leave a lot of questions unanswered. Especially those questions dealing with what you called "the whys, hows, and other side trips". But there are some that deal with those things very well. Of course the only way to find that out is to have a good bit of knowledge about the books themselves. There are some books that can even be considered all but worthless.

So how does one deal with this problem ? It's kind of like anything else, you have to do a certain amount of research on your own, and/or buy more books. What I have found over the years is that one wishing to become knowledgeable in any given subject dealing with coins does not need just a book or two, they need a library. This book will have bits and pieces and that book will have other bits and pieces. And not it's not just a question of the "old" not having what you want, or the "new" having it. It's more that both will have information that neither of the others do.

Now web sites, web sites are wonderful things, they truly are ! They have a done a great deal to advance the knowledge of numismatics in just the few short years that they have existed. But they suffer from the same problems that books do. They have bits and pieces, but seldom have everything. And like books they repeat bad information over and over again, but with web sites it is far more widespread than it is with books. And web sites have their own unique problem - they go "poof". One day they are there, and the next day they are not there any longer. This is because web sites are dependent upon the person who created them continuing to pay for their very existence. Quit paying the fees and "poof", they're just gone. While books, once created they are just there. Of course finding them can be a problem at times.

Web sites can also have a distinct advantage, certain web sites anyway. This one for example, CoinTalk. As I said above - "that's probably the best advice you'll get". And I said that because this web site is like having it all rolled into to one. For here you have a large group of people, many of whom own books, and many of whom know of various web sites. Combined they create an immense virtual library of information, information that can be and is readily shared with others.

11. noname

noname Well-Known Member

posted pics

12. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Okay, I've posted pics, but I still haven't gotten a answer, just people telling me it might be a book, not that that isn't helpful.

joecoincollect likes this.
  13. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

World coins aren't much better. I have the new Mexican coinage encyclopedia vol 2, but other than that nothing for other countries. There's probably some out there but in different languages

14. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I would suggest a subscription on Rhinocoins if you are interested in coins like these and other early European issues. It's $10 for 2 years, which I believe is well worth it and I've used this site many times when having a hard time researching elsewhere.

noname likes this.
  15. GDJMSP

Draft saved Draft deleted