Needing help to ID this token coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by LMac42, Nov 8, 2015.

1. LMac42

LMac42 New Member

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so I apologize if this isn't the best place to post this question. I'm not so interested in what this coin is worth, more so what it is. I collected coins for a period of time when I was a child, and recently found the few I hung on to. I've done some online research about this coin, but am not finding anything that matches. The image on the front is of Queen Victoria with her Coronation date, but the back has an image of a many playing card with the words, "I quote Hoyle." I've found this image of the man on token coins, but none with Queen Victoria on the front. Any thoughts on what this might be, and how old it is?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

It is an English counter for a cardgame called Whist. Edmond Hoyle published the standard book on this game.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

6. LMac42

LMac42 New Member

Thank you all of your replies. It's greatly appreciated!

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

Greetings LMac42, and welcome to Cointalk! In Fuld's listings of these whist counters, as printed in the TAMS Journal, Volume 14, No. 4, August, 1974 (Part II), I believe your counter matches the description as that assigned to id number 1030, with reverse die M13 being used. My reference indicates that the edge should be plain, while Furryfrog02's link indicates a milled edge, so you will have to see which type it truly is (Sorry, Paddyman, I could not get your link to work for me). My ref. calls for the diameter to be 21.6mm. It shows 4 different "Crowned Queen Victoria" style of counters.

Draft saved Draft deleted