Needing advice on selling a US Type collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by svessien, Jun 6, 2020.

1. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Hi everybody
    I have collected US coins for many years, but my interest is mainly in ancient coins.
    I’m thinking about selling my collection; a +80% complete Dansco album, plus several Morgan dollars, Indian Head cents, and extras. Grades vary, but there are some good coins there.
    What is your advice? Sell directly to a US dealer, or ask for comission?
    I live in Norway, and don’t get a good enough price here, but I also find it a challenge to trust a dealer who’s an ocean apart. What would you do? And which dealer would you recommend?

Here are some of the pages:
    edited

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2020
    R.Morgan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Looking at your set, here are my thoughts:

You have a number of coins that are in excellent condition, especially among the older types. You may wish to split the set up and sell some of those items separately to better unlock the value, perhaps on Ebay or a similar site. Otherwise, without the key coins (Trade dollar + Seated Liberty Dollars), I'm not sure that the set would generate the level of interest that it should.

I'm sure some may disagree with my conclusions here, but speaking from personal experience, I've often had to sell at a discount when offloading complete/near complete collections, unless the item in question was virtually unobtainable elsewhere.

Best of luck!

-jeffB, ldhair and svessien like this.
  4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

You can probably sell the album alone for $50 or more - Dansco 7070s are in short supply (the company didn't make them for several years, has moved to Washington State and as far as we know hasn't restarted production yet).

You might ask Ian or Raeleen at GreatCollections - https://www.greatcollections.com/main-contact ... they're great people.

svessien likes this.
  5. svessien

svessien Senior Member

That’s good advice. Thank you.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice collection. I can see your problem trying to sell the set from Norway.
    Greatcollections sounds like a possible choice for some of the better coins.

svessien likes this.
  7. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Perhaps they can help me selling the less expensive coins to a dealer too.
    I have some really nice US coins, but I sometimes regret getting into an area that I’m not really in contact with.

edited - you are free to ask your questions but you CANNOT post pics or mention specific coins.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2020
    -jeffB likes this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Look at which ones you might want to get graded as well. Or you could send the best ones somewhere like Great Collections or David Lawerence and they'll get them graded and auction them off for you for a fee of course.

Absolutely. Often times with a big lot they'll really just pay you for the nice stuff and you're basically giving the rest away for free

svessien likes this.
  9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Unfortunately most of the valuable coins such as the Classic head cent are missing. Many of the scarcer coins such as Bust dime/quarter appear to be either worn down to F/VF and/or cleaned. I won’t bother submitting them, but would rather sell then in small lots on eBay. E.g. one lot contains all Seated coins, the next lot all Bust type coins etc. Good pictures are key. Potential buyers are not going to bid very high if there are only mediocre pics.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted