Needed a little R&R

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eng, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Had coin club last night, cooked BBQ chicken, baked beans, chips and cookies, we only had half the turn out last night due to the Chinese President was in town and they shut down Freeways down from Microsoft So.405 to South I-5 to Tacoma. :mad: as i drove N. I-5 to get to the meeting, So bound was like a ghost town..
    We had a guess speaker on Short snorters, awesome speaker..i did pick up a ancient coin..Roman Republic..

M. Plaetorius, M.F. ..67 B.C.
    Ar. Denarius..
    Obv. helmeted and draped bust of composite Deity right,wearing wreath of laurel, corn,poppy and lotus, bow and quiver over shoulder.
    Rev.Eagle standing on thunderbolt, head left.
    awesome muti-color patina.
    19mm x 3.89g.

Show us your R and R's or any ones with Eagles...:)
    Roman Rep 2 001_opt.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

BBQ, baked beans, chips and cookies!? :eek: What kind of club do you go to?
    Btw, nice R&R.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice coin John. I seem to gravitate to RR's. Here is my poor example:
    M. Plaetorius M.f. Cestianus.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  5. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I don't have any RR's :( but I want one.

Eng likes this.
  6. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

There are several RR's that are quite common and plentiful and a nice example can be had for under $50 with a little patience. The issues of Calpurnius Piso Frugi of 90 BC come to mind, but they're not the only ones.

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is a nice Plaetorius. I do not have one. I need to keep an eye open for one. It has the SC suggesting a special issue from the Senate and the office is listed as Curile Aedile. I like coins that are a bit different like this. The tone looks attractive, too, or is that BBQ sauce???
    My only Republican eagle is the one at the right on this fourree of Pompey.
    ra8020bb0390.jpg

8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I don't seem to have an RR denarii with a Republican Eagle, not even counting the one I just won on bid or another still pending...Sheesh, another type to look out for LOL

I wonder if the reason(s) for the use of a 'composite' deity is known??? It should be interesting to discover why they chose that particular type---at least to the trivia nuts like me:)

Love that just posted Pompey fouree, Doug!!!

ancientcoinguru and Eng like this.
  9. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

3550459 (1).jpg
    Roman Republic A. Postumius A.f. Sp.n. Albinus. AR Denarius serratus (18mm, 3.72g). Rome mint. Head of Hispania right, wearing veil; behind, HISPAN downwards. Border of dots / Togate figure with right hand raised, standing between legionary eagle and fasces with axe around, A • POST • A • F • S • N • ALBIN. Border of dots. Crawford 372/2; Sydenham 74; RSC Postumia 8.

combined-bettercolor.jpg
    Roman Imperatorial, Marc Antony, AR Denarius(17mm, 3.40g), 32-31 BC, Mint moving with Marc Antony
    ANT • AVG / III • VIR • R • P • C
    Praetorian galley right, scepter tied with fillet on prow, E banker's mark in upper field
    LEG | XV
    Aquila between two legionary standards, punch mark in left field
    Antony 38; Sydenham 1235; Crawford 544/30

The V is very worn on the Antony legionary but it is there.

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

very nice coin ENG, a lovely republican.

i've posted 3 of my 4 RR coins recently, here is one i have't posted for a bit...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

man, i always get hungry when i read your coin club posts! :hungry:

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hello, my West Coast brother!! .... man, that's a great new AR RR edition (congrats!!)

Hey dawg => I have that exact same coin!! (we're coin bros!!)

M. Plaetorius M.f. Cestianus AR Denarius
    Rome mint
    67 BC
    Diameter: 18 mm
    Weight: 3.77 grams
    Obverse: Helmeted and draped bust right of Vacuna, with attributes of Isis, Minerva, Apollo, Diana, and Victory; cornucopia below chin; bow and quiver on shoulder
    Reverse: Eagle perched right, head left, on thunderbolt
    Reference: Crawford 409/1; Sydenham 809; Plaetoria 4

M Plaetorius Mf Cestianus.jpg

Oh, and apparently it's "Vacuna" on the obverse (very cool)

Congrats again, coin bro!! (yummy example)

:rolleyes:

12. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Wow. Excellent RR coins! I really love their style. Many of the Flavians I collect resurrect these reverse types from the Roman past. Here is an eagle on thunderbolt struck by Domitian.

D144.jpg

Domitian
    AR Denarius
    Rome mint, 82-83 AD
    RIC 144 (R), BMC 52, RSC 320
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: IVPPITER CONSERVATOR; Eagle stg. front on thunderbolt, wings outspread, head l.

13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I like the coin and the baked beans!

Mikey Zee and Eng like this.
  14. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

OH lovely piece! I would have gone to the show for the chicken alone. You guys out west have all the fun.

Eng likes this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hi Eng ... you rock, my friend (wow, it's been probably 4 => 5 years now since we've been hangin' out and doing some coining, eh? ... well, even more if you count your bro!!)

anyway => I do happen to have one more cool AR RR with an eagle ...

L. PAPIUS CELSUS, AR DENARIUS
    ROME 45 BC
    Diameter: 18 mm
    Weight: 4.06 grams
    Obverse: Head of Juno Sospita right, wearing goat skin headdress tied at neck; all within border of dots
    Reverse: She-wolf standing right, placing stick on fire; on right, eagle standing left, fanning the flames, CELSVS • III • VIR above, L • PAPIVS in exergue
    Reference: Crawford 472/1; CRI 82; Sydenham 964

L Papius Celsus She Wolf & Eagle.jpg

=> wow, eh? => an eagle fanning the fricken flames, while a wolf is dropping a stick on the fire!! (seriously, that's cool)

Oh, and there's obviously some pretty cool battle-tactics goin' on ... I bet that a few of you coiners know the significance of the wolf and the eagle, eh? (yah, I just buy the coins!!)

:oops:

16. $ignofthedollar

$ignofthedollar Well-Known Member

I was just thinking the same thing? How far of a drive would that be for me???

Eng and stevex6 like this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Great new coin, Eng! I love the all-in-one deity.

Like the others, I'm envious of your fantastic coin club!

I don't have any Republicans with an eagle, but here are a couple of bird-free favorites:

No eagles on this one but there are some wings :D
    [​IMG]
    Roman Republic
    moneyer L. Julius L. f. Caesar, 103 BC

AR denarius, 17mm, 3.9 gm
    Obv: Helmeted head of Mars left; CAESAR; ・J above
    Rev: Venus Genetrix in chariot left, drawn by two Cupids; lyre to left; ・J above
    Ref: Crawford 320/1
    ex RBW Collection

[​IMG]

Roman Republic
    moneyer L. Caesius, 112-111 BCE

AR denarius, 3.92 gm
    Obv: bust of Vejovis from behind, head turned left, holding a thunderbolt, legend AP; dotted border.
    Rev: Lares praestites seated with heads left, dog between, bust of Vulcan above; legend LA-RE; dotted border.
    Ref: Crawford 298/1. Sydenham 564. RSC Caesia 1

18. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Thank you all for your comments, Steve, yes coin Bros for life!!i want to get you and jw out on the river next year, maybe have more water..:) any one can come to one club meeting, the Boeing coin club over 100 members which 40 to 50 show each Month,we only had 19 due to traffic..:eek:

Mikey Zee, stevex6 and Bing like this.
  19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'd love that gathering with me, you, steve and your brother and anyone else. But fishing with you guys would be awesome.

Eng and stevex6 like this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

21. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful posts 'guys' !!!!

And, 'red_spork' reminded me of my similar 'little' eagle type with Hispania:
    RR denarius ,hispania.JPG RR albinus legionay denarius.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted