Need your opinions, RE: Coin Deal

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Da Vinchi, May 27, 2004.

1. Da Vinchi

Da Vinchi Junior Member

Guys,

Firstly, I am not a dealer and I explained that several times to the lady. There was no pressure involved.

I gave her 100$ over twice the face value.
    Face value was $200
    I gave her $500 for the lot ===>After purchasing the 1881CC(offered $180-she said $150.00 was fine), (2) 1921 Morgans($20each), (3)2$ Bills $20,00 total.

So all in all she got $870.00approx (+/- a few dollars) from what she told me, the dealer offered her much less.

This was after I purchased several of the key coins at red book price - graded by myself and the old lady. I read the grading descriptions and we picked a grade that was closest. After selecting and buying the key coins she asked me if I wanted the whole lot. I said sure.

We disscussed prices and we both felt comfortable with the deal, I was happy and so was she. I do not plan to sell the coins. I will keep them in my collection to pass on to my children.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Sir,

We have all stated that you did not do anything wrong.
    Several of us dealers just kind of hijacked your thread to make our opinions known.

What a person does in honesty cannot be faulted.

4. Da Vinchi

Da Vinchi Junior Member

Sorry if I sound defensive. I honestly felt good about the transaction. I did what I thought was the right thing. I still feel good about it. I have much to learn. I posted to get advice.

Some of the post have a negative tone. I just want it to be known that I was trying to be upfront and honest with the lady.

I know I lack experience that's why I started this thread I wasn't sure wether this was a good deal or not.

5. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Hotel buying doesn't always mean cheap prices. Quite often we'd be shown stuff that had been shopped all over the area for years but our prices were generally higher.
    Just as an example, if I were buying 90% silver today from the public in a hotel buying situation, I'd probably be paying a tad over 4x face, especially if there were quantity involved.
    So much depends on the current market trends and orders that we have to fill. Those things count for more than the spot price anytime.

6. National dealer

Da Vinchi,

Welcome to the forum. I am sure that no one meant any offense.

7. joesmom

joesmom Member

DaVinchi...I think your intentions were honest and you came to the right place to ask questions. Welcome, we hope you stick around.
    Robin

8. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

DaVinci, you did not give us those details to begin with. You gave the impression you bought all the coins at double face. What you described sounds like a fair negotiation process and deal.

As ND said, we hijacked your thread as an opportunity to discuss coin selling ethics. To the extent anyone learned something new, you did us a favor!! :D

9. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Yeah, what he said :D

10. National dealer

Stick with us, and we will all share our knowledge. Good and bad. :D

11. Da Vinchi

Da Vinchi Junior Member

I haven't had time to take the coins to my local dealer yet. When I get a chance I will take them to him and try to grade them. As I stated before I am not a dealer. My grading may have been over or under estimated. Until I talk to my local dealer I won't be positive.

Thanks for your input everyone.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Since I am only here in the evenings as a general rule I did not get to read this post until just now. And I must say that I am surprised that so many of you are surprised by the tale of what the dealer offered the lady. And Da Vincci - for whatever it's worth - you did nothing wrong ;)

But let me relate a story to you. A friend of mine once inherited a collection - he knew absolutely nothing about coins. So he took them to a very prominent dealer. Now I'm talking a lot of coins - almost $7,000 in face value and there were less than 20 silver dollars in the lot. Care to guess what the dealer offered ? Would it surprise you to learn he offered face value period ? Well he did. My friend refused.

A short time later he showed up at my house one night with the collection. He knew I was a collector and wanted my opinion on what to do. I took one look and said - don't sell 'em ! Leave 'em with me and give me time to go through them all.

Well it took me 6 months to catalog and grade that collection. It was comprised of album after album and literally thousands of loose coins. But what was it worth ? Well - there was 1 coin - just 1 coin alone - that worth more than double what the dealer offered. There were 3 others - 1916-D merc dimes - they alone were worth almost $20,000. This collection was worth well over $100,000 total. But the prominent dealer offered my friend face value - just under $7,000.

And oh yeah - he knew what was there. The truly valuable coins were plainly evident since they were all in albums. So does it happen - you bet it does.

Now I'm not saying all dealers do this - far from it. When I was robbed - it was two dealer friends of mine who were instrumental in helping me recover my collection. One of them even took a financial loss of his own - of course he'll get that back from me - in spades ! But there are most definitley folks out there who will take advanatage of the uneducated in a heartbeat. Don't ever forget it !

13. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

Face value??? now that is stealing. I'd like to see characters like that set up with a sting and arrested for fraud. :mad:

14. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

I know there's dealers out there that try these things. I just have a hard time thinking of one as a "very prominent dealer". Anyone that tries to steal stuff by making offers that ridiculously low will soon find himself haunted by a bad reputation.

15. cdcda

cdcda New Member

Da Vinchi, first, let me say that ND is dead on as usual. A number of us kind of hijacked your thread! Hopefully you can forgive us an stick around for lively, interesting and informative conversation.

Second, you did nothing wrong - even more so given the fact that you paid red book prices for the more valuable coins. If you paid 2x for silver and red book for keys, the whole of the deal was most likely very fair for all involved.

Sorry for using your thread in such a fashion!

16. Da Vinchi

Da Vinchi Junior Member

You guys aren't getting rid of me that easily.
    :)
    Again, sorry if I seemed defensive. I really respect everyone's opinions. I am here to learn. Just keep sharing your knowledge.

Draft saved Draft deleted