Need your opinion please.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GUNNER63736, Feb 18, 2018.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

I am sure this has been touched on before but I did a search and couldn't find an answer. Humor this old man please. I am building a set of 90% silver proof Kennedy Half dollars. Is it worth the significant price increase to buy them PCGS graded or am I pretty safe buying them raw and putting them in a snap lock. To old to be worrying about a huge short term gain in value. I just enjoy the bling of the shiny Kennedy silver proofs. Thank you for your time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Emmett Brown

Emmett Brown Member

I think you are good to go with raw coins. Just make sure that what you see is what you get. A raw unattributed Accented Hair '64 proof would be a nice find!

4. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

You can probably buy PCGS or NGC graded Proof-69 for not much more than raw ones.

dwhiz and Beefer518 like this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You can get graded one for about the same price as raw in certain grades which most people like better. It's not a big deal either way though as long as you aren't paying grade premiums for raw ones

dwhiz likes this.
  6. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I love the look of the silver Kennedy proofs in the Premier sets (1992-1998)...
    [​IMG]

dwhiz likes this.
  7. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Gunner: I would recommend to buy raw except for the 2014 four-coin set and the 1998 Matte Proof that comes with the RFK $1 coin (I like original government packaging with these types of special issues). Most coin shops will have them separated from Mint sets, with several to choose from. I have every single silver Kennedy half including the non-proofs. Here is a photo taken from my phone, proving you can buy superb quality without having to pay so much extra for slabbed examples; it is the same coin (the 2012-S, which is around $100 and the most expensive since 1992 when they re-started this silver series). I took it from different angles to show detail as well as the deep cameo (the hairline you see on the cameo is on my holder, not the coin).

It is also proof you don't need an expensive camera and elaborate set up to take great photos with a modern cell phone if done so in outside lighting.

0210180919a_HDR.jpg 0210180921.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

FYI.......There is also a 1998S 90% silver Kennedy that was produced in a matte finish that accompanied the 1998S RFK Commemorative silver dollar. I realize that it is not a proof coin, but it is 90% silver.

Chris

IMG_1671[1].JPG

IMG_1672[1].JPG

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I’m like you. Too old to worry about the short term gains. I also think the Kennedy halves are a strikingly beautiful piece. I started filling Dansco books with the series. When I started I didn’t realize what a daunting task this would become.... But it all depends on how you choose to display them really. For me filling an album, the slabbed pieces would have been a hinderance. The only time I choose graded pieces are for much older coins. Even then only if the piece is pleasing to my eye. Investment value is never on my radar.

10. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

I think the jury is still out on if the 1998-S Matte Kennedy is a Proof or Uncirculated coin.

PCGS treats the 98-S Matte as an uncirculated variety coin in their Registry sets.

NGC treats the 98-S Matte as a standard Proof coin in their Registry sets.

The US Mint made no such distinctions, the certificate of authenticity that came with the two coin Kennedy Collector’s Set list the two coins as only:

“Uncirculated Robert F. Kennedy Silver Dollar
    Matte Finish John F. Kennedy Silver Half Dollar”

If you think that the 98-S Matte Kennedy has the characteristics of the early twentieth century Matte Proofs, then NGC is correct. If you think the 98-S Matte Kennedy does not have any characteristics of the early twentieth century Matte Proofs, then PCGS is correct.

I haven’t decided one way or the other on how I feel on the subject, guess I can see both sides, but I’m leaning that NGC is more right on this one, at least I don’t consider the coin as a variety like a DDO or DDR as PCGS does.

Whatever you feel about the 98-S Matte and where it belongs, either on the business strike or proof side of the series, it is one of the “key” coins of the series.

And as always, collect what you like and in the way you like.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  11. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input folks.

12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

There are 2 reasons to buy high grade slabbed moderns:

1. You want a strong resale value, and view these coins as investments. You'll pay a lot, but you have the potential to make that money back. This doesn't sound like you.

2. You want to play the Registry game. Higher grades means higher points and you move up the ladder. This doesn't sound like you.

For your situation, I'd recommend the raw coins (protected in some sort of holder, of course). This way, you maximize the shiny bling, and minimize the money spent.

Draft saved Draft deleted