Need UK 10 with Jane Austen

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by kaparthy, Apr 18, 2020.

1. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I am not a big collector, but I am a writer; and I have some world banknotes with authors and related subjects. (Bulgaria and Iceland had printing presses.) I want to add the UK tenner. In fact, I could buy several and give them to women I know. (Actually, that sounds bad, somehow ...). Anyway, my question here is: Where do you recommend that I buy from them from?

austen graphic arts princeton 2.png
    (Graphic Arts. Princeton U.)

I would never go to eBay unless that store were also members of the ANA at the very least, if not also IBNS, PNG, and IAPN to boot.

I looked at the trade and buy forums here. I read GD's warning. But, of course, I also see people there whom I have known here for years; and anyone who creates problems usually does not stick around to chat about coins. So, I'm pretty much OK with another regular poster.

My inclination is to query someone like Lynn Knight, but I hate to bother a major firm with a minor purchase. I figure five uncirculated tenners for like US$100.

Anyway... just asking...
    Thanks.
    Mike M.

George McClellan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Pam West. She is a dealer in the UK and and IBNS member.

kaparthy likes this.
  4. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

You can also search MA-Shops. I see at least one for sale there.

kaparthy likes this.
  5. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

You can go to Pam West as lettow suggests or, since this is the latest design, you can very easily go to your nearest bank. Many banks keep a shoe box or satchel full of foreign currency on hand at all times.

Often times the currency is uncirculated or nearly uncirculated. Ask the teller to pull out the nicest examples for you to look at and choose what you want accordingly.

If the bank does not have £10 notes in stock have them order 10 notes for you. Then from there keep the five nicest ones and sell or refund back the five you don't want to keep.

kaparthy likes this.
  6. kaparthy

Thanks, of course, I did not consider that. We have currency shops here, both at malls and at the airport. And, I know that travel agencies also do that. OTOH with the lockdowns, I wonder what actually is open... Hmmm... Well, I promise to report back.

7. kaparthy

Well, everything is closed, or almost everything... We have a currency exchange in a big nearby mall. (I wrote about it for my blog back in 2014. See here.) But the mall is closed. I thought about going to the airport, because I know that they have a currency exchange there. That would entail paying for parking, or taking the bus. I looked for nearby travel agencies, also, but they are open only Monday-Friday. So, then there is the time out. I am working because my employer makes the machines that are making medical supplies. (Read company press release here.) So, I would be giving up billable time during the day.

I emailed Pam West and she replied promptly. There were some details to iron out because I had no prior knowledge. But she was nice enough to help me meet a close publication deadline. And Paypal proved pretty easy to figure out.

So, thanks to @lettow and @NOS for the recommendation. Following
    @ewomack's advice, I checked MA Shops. I have never bought from them, but I regard them as reputable. They are like VCoins, a ring of trusted sellers. This note was offered by Bernd Steidl; I found another from Michael Abram, also. I just went with Pam. She offered to sell for much less. I countered with more. We were both happy.

ma-shops and ewomack like this.
  8. kaparthy

On their way... I bought five, but after haggling upward with her, she added a sixth to make it come out even again for me. She also sent me a scan so that I could make an article deadline.

Austen 10 Back (Pam West).png Austen 10 Face (Pam West).png

Draft saved Draft deleted