Need translation of Notgeld note (Reutergeld)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cachecoins, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

Hello, below are few examples of Reutergeld from Ribnitz. I am trying to find out more about these notes the top text I can translate but the text on the bottom I cannot get a cogent translation.

Could some assist with the translation of the text on these two notes? These are part of a collection of Reutergeld, name as such because they somehow relate to the works of Fritz Reuter.

A translation would be great but an explanation as to how it relates to his work would be a huge help as well. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ribnitz25.jpg

Ribnitz 50pfg F.jpg

Abramthegreat likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

Cachecoins likes this.
  4. Cachecoins

Thanks, I have all that info, really trying to figure out what they say in the script and what the theme is. One with what seems to be a devil and a sailor and another that seems to be a businessman being attacked by a goat.

5. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

The only thing I can make from the upper sentence of the third one goes as follows:

Only in inner-city traffic
    until February 15, 1922,
    the Ribnitz City Council

Though I may have translated it incorrectly...

6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I'm not very good at languages but have a lot of notgeld notes. I've translated a few the old fashioned way, German-English dictionary and later using internet translators. Once you get the general idea of the folklore, fable, or propaganda, Google search for more info. It's a little work but I've had success.

Some of the specialty books have info on the stories portrayed on notgeld, but they are usually in german too.

IMG_1164 (2).jpg
    IMG_1165 (2).JPG

Cachecoins likes this.
  7. Cachecoins

Thanks, to be honest the German on most Notgeld is not a problem, in this case I cannot make out the words because of the script and I think the writer they reference wrote in a German dialect (low German?) which doesn't help.

Draft saved Draft deleted