Need token help.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Aug 16, 2018.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Bought this today on a whim for $15 at the ANA. I like the subject matter with the bear... anyone have any info on it?
    20180816_185207.jpg 20180816_185247.jpg

Ericred, dwhiz and Kasia like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

1915 San Francisco Pacific PanAmerican International Exposition?
    I found this: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/19021-bear-token.html
    And in that thread, I found this:
    "It's the token portion of a novelty item called an "edge spinner." Check the edge, and you will probably find a couple of bumps or indentations. These are the points on which the token pivoted within a small frame. Flicking the edge made the token spin rapidly, and the images of both sides would appear together-- in this case, creating a risque view of the two bears mating."

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  4. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

6. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

And the bear is the California symbol.

C-B-D likes this.
  7. Kasia

Also, the Pan-Pacific is a viable collector's choice. If you sell, I could imagine you should at least double your money.

C-B-D likes this.
  8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

From http://www.goldbergcoins.net/catalogarchive/20020218/chap104.shtml#046881
    February 2002
    "Lot 1800 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    1915-S Panama-Pacific International Exposition Silver Token. The token grades Extremely Fine. We've never seen anything like this, the token is apparently silver, with one side showing a nicely engraved rampant bear with his snout just about touching the date 1915, the other side has a similar well engraved walking bear with the initials PPIE for the San Francisco Pacific PanAmerican International Exposition. The surfaces are toned with an antique gray color and the rim is plain (not reeded). A simple design, but no doubt historically important with the California bear and the reference to the Exposition. Something that is definitely worth some research, as it is certainly very unusual.
    Estimated Value $100-UP."

Looking at hammer prices for this auction, it realized $110.00, plus 15% BP.
    http://images.goldbergauctions.com/php/prs.php?lang=1&sale=13

C-B-D likes this.
  9. Kasia

As a spinner item, if you can come across the gadget it fit into, then you could likely really get a great price.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ain't looking 'silver' to me. More like copper or bronze.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Maybe it came in more than one metal. Souvenirs for different income levels.

Draft saved Draft deleted