Need to network and a concern

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GoldCoinLover, Jan 13, 2012.

1. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

You sound like a nice man. Good luck to you sir.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

+1

4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

GCL, I do not know that you will truly ever be happy in numismatics. However, what might reduce your fears would be if you purchased coins directly from the US Mint.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Sounds like you are doing well on your food shopping, but one suggestion, individual convenience packaging tends to be overly expensive. If you have access to refrigeration you can do better buying a can of salmon and making several meals from it. (wal-Mart has a good store brand 15 oz can for $2.39 About three times as much but from four to five times as much salmon.) And buying raw materials and preparing your own meals is a lot cheaper, and usually healthier, than prepackaged food.

6. GoldCoinLover

GoldCoinLover Senior Member

I usually eat whole foods, prepare and cook my own, it helped me lose 104 lbs when I was obese. Thanks for your advice Tom b, I know we have had our disagreements and arguments, I truly apologize for that. I think I'm over letting others influence my opinions on coins, I hope that doesn't change. This, unfortunately, isn't the case in other areas of my life. To give you an example of how damaging process foods are. I ate yakisoba with veggies, pre packed, just microwave. Reading the label, 1/2 the bag (from the sauce and noodles and sesame oil, it's not high in fat, just salt) has 31% DV (daily value) or 1/3 of my salt intake for the entire day! I rarely eat much processed foods now, if I did I would probably gain all my weight back. Well, guess what, most people read the label, maybe skip the serving size, and assume the whole bag (it comes packaged as one bag, not separated in half.you can see the portion confusion for Americans better now...) it even says to microwave the whole bag, making you think the whole bag is one serving . Nope. To get that 1/3 DV (which is ALOT of salt) you got to microwave it, then evenly seperated it into 2 equal portions! No wonder Americans are so fat! Look at the portions size and the confusion!! Way to big! How big is a meat serving of lean meat like white meat turkey breast or lean pork chops ? 4 oz. the size of a deck of cards!! So, I ate the 2 portions. That's now 62% DV sodium intake. (Salt). I had a lean steak and cheese burrito too, I call them "barf in a bag", since that's what they look like. That had 31% DV sodium in a small burrito. Now I've used up a whopping 93% DV intake of salt for the day in 2 process foods!! That's a whole days worth in only 800 kcal (calories), a decent size breakfast. The only way now to balance it out is to stick with lean meats (or some protein powder), fruits, veggies, legumes , and complex carbs like 100% whole wheat bread, and some healthy fat like almonds (preferably unsalted, I like dry roasted) . Now imagine how much of this processes crap most Americans eat. I'm self studying biochemistry and dietetics (nutrition) and going to college to become a RD (registered dietician , NOT a nutritionist, a dietitian needs a 4 year BA or BS , most hold MS or MA degrees and are experts in nutrition and how it applies to disease. It's very expensive, not much pay, being obese As i was i feel it's right for me, you have to pay thousands of dollars for your 2200 hours of internship. Yep, I have to PAY them! Very competitive field . After that I need to pass a test to become a registered part, and every year retake it as well as continue college credits every year, yep...

7. lonegunlawyer

Looks like you are on the right track. Keep it up!

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Congratulations on the weight loss Kevin, I've never managed to get mine down.

9. RiverGuy

RiverGuy Tired and Retired

Kevin, it sounds to me like you have a better handle on nutrition than most of us here at Coin Talk. I guess we all should remember that our hobby or livelyhood doesn't involve much exercise. It's mostly staring at coins or computer screens and snacking on junk food. Thanks for reminding us about inexpensive and nutritional foods.

10. GoldCoinLover

GoldCoinLover Senior Member

I don't know about coin talk, and body fat certainly increases as you age some (even if you stay lean!), as you age, body fat charts on what is acceptable or "good" gradually gets more lenient. I do know from some numismatic articles I've read in the past, have mentioned this among dealers, most collectors too. Since at least it seems to me, YNs seem a bit more rare than older retired dealers, collectors, etc. Sedintary lifestyle , lack of excercise, other illnesses certain don't help with weight control, including diet as a huge factor, depression also doesn't help, ESP. If it leads to emotional or binge eating , I know from experience. Last 2 weeks I completely lost it with my diet, and are mostly junk. But ultimately, as long as you get back on track it's never too late. I was at 30% body fat and a size 48 waist , almost a 50, and am now a size 32. But the 104 lbs certainly took its toll on my skin, ESP. Where I lost the most weight, my abdomen. I do have some loose skin, it's definitely very obvious, but it could be much worse, say, if I didn't lift weights and lost 300 instead of a 100 or so. I still have alot of problems with body image, mostly. And I have to remind myself constantly, "you're not fat anymore Kevin, that's not fat all over your body but skin, see how it hangs vertically in a push up position ? Fat wouldn't do that. It would cling more rather than be loose." Still it's very hard to deal with. I know how it's caused restricted eating and purging, and binging, although no one will give me treatment for that, that I feel I need. There's a certain point where one has to realize it isn't fat anymore, and that 10%-11% using a darn accurate way of measuring body fat (hydrostatic, underwater weighing) is NOT fat. And when to stop losing weight, which sadly I haven't gotten to either.

11. lonegunlawyer

Start thinking positive. Everytime a negative thought comes in, think: "I am a stud!" or "I am a lean mean fighting machine."

Draft saved Draft deleted