Need to network and a concern

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GoldCoinLover, Jan 13, 2012.

1. GoldCoinLover

GoldCoinLover Senior Member

Hi guys, been having quite a tough time emotionally lately, in and out of hospitals.I need to make friends.I'd live to meet other numismatists around phoenix, chandler, mesa, or gilbert area in arizona.I recently bought a 20 franc rooster from an investor company called amergold.first time I've been disappointed.the coin is a restrike probably, date is 1908.I swear I'm not being paranoid here.I ve had a bad gut feeling since I've s een it.it's xf, definately not BU as advertised! Has several smallscratches on obverse.most importantly, the coin just looks ' off'.by this I mean the color.to golden.is this just how they atre minted? Perhaps more copper.and I've never seen a gold coin with this same hue.seriously, I don't believe I'm obessessing again.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldCoinLover

I apologize for the spelling.using a phone sucks.

4. GoldCoinLover

I know it's easy to think. "here he goes again".this is causing me no anxiety through.if this is normal for the alloy comp of roosters.

5. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Wow, isn't there someone who represents the investment company, available to you? Perhaps even a credit to another coin could be offered. How much time has passed before you realised this? If they are looking for new and more business, they should be happy to make a satisfied customer.

6. silverfool

silverfool Active Member

try going to a coin shop in your area and check some others. peace of mind is worth some effort.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Roosters are known for being different colors, it's pretty common. Example - I took pics of these two one right after the other without changing any settings, camera angle, or lighting. Yet look at the different color -

1907_Fr_20_franc_obv.jpg

1907_Fr_20_franc_rev.jpg

1908_Fr_20_franc_obv.jpg

1908_Fr_20_franc_rev.jpg

So don't be put off by the color Kevin, it is not unusual.

The other issue, that of the condition of the coin, that is also to be expected when buying from bullion companies. Many of them will sell coins as BU that are really AU or XF. But the people who buy from these companies are almost always buying bullion and could care less about the condition of the coin - gold is gold after all. It's only when collectors, who do care about the condition, buy from them that the surprises arise.

As a collector you should not buy from these companies. Instead only buy from dealers who specialize in collectible coins, not bullion. And if you do buy from them you will seldom be happy. As your recent experience illustrates.

8. GoldCoinLover

I sold my 1834 $2.5 classic head CAC/AU53 NGC. I'm never doing anything like that again. I paid only $1200 and bought it from Mark Feld, I absolutely loved the coin. Semi PL surfaces, original and crusty, beautifully toned reddish/orange, great condition for the grade. And why did I sell it? I was so stupidly stubborn and felt other people's opinions mattered more than my own. I'm hugely upset with myself, and shouldvev kept it, I'm on SSI and going through many very hard , rough things on my life now. 20 people loved it, 2 completely hated it, telling me wasn't original and cleaned/wiped. If you know me, I freaked out. Even with my okay knowledge of cleaned coins detection, and decent authentication skills, ESP. In gold coinage, now I can barely live and eat healthy off my disability SSI. I thought it was cleaned, fake etc obiously I knew better. Now I don't care, I like coins because I do, no one else! I'm a bit naive (too trusting/open with people) and all the money my friend used it all , I trusted he'd pay me back, never got anything back. Anyway, I keep checking mark felds site for some nice VG to , preferably an XF45, I want a little shine and some decent detail. Half or quarter eagles are fine. I'm getting a job, and plan to sell my bullion to buy one. Looking for a nice specimen , original , toned, no cleaning, crust. Decent luster and some detail. Know any other good sites? I wanted to study them, but material is very scant. Here's a beautifully picture of it, I miss it , never doing that again EVER! Also had it professionally photographs, by mark goodman I think... image.jpg

9. GoldCoinLover

color change I'm assuming with sometimes not consistent silver added into the 90% gold?

10. GoldCoinLover

The NGC forums permanent banned me, I don't know why, I was rather shocked. Reason : export ban. :(

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Trace elements in the gold can also cause differences in color.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Maybe, and it can also be as Conder mentioned. And, gold tones. Bottom line, it is completely normal and to be expected for gold coins to be different colors.

13. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

You shouldn't own any coins or buillon!

14. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Such humanity. You want to take all joy out of this individual's life?

15. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

I'm surprised you passed even the easiest Bar exam (Nevada). Your reading comprehension sucks.

Hello. He can barely live and eat healthy!

16. lonegunlawyer

First, Nevada is considered one of the most difficult bar exams (probably 2nd only to CA).

Second, my comprehension is just fine. I do not think you really comprehend what this person is going through.

Finally, man shall not live by bread alone, what a boring existence that would be.

17. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

DC. then Calif.

You're the one not grasping the reality herein. His words: "now I can barely live and eat healthy off my disability SS." Do you not see this as a dire financial situation? Food and surviving trump owning gold coins or buillon.

18. lonegunlawyer

What happens when he has nothing and still does not have enough to live on. At least a few coins may provide comfort and memories of better times.

19. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

To keep from starving, I would gladly sell the buillon/gold coins to eat. You would prefer to clutch that $1,200 gold coin as life slowly seeps out of your starving, dying body? To each his own.

20. lonegunlawyer

Its not an easy decision and don't think there is a real cut and dry answer here. I just hope the OP can find some meaning and happiness in life.

21. GoldCoinLover

Don't worry, I do ok. I have $35 in food stamps too, which helps. I know how to shop, finding the lowest prices, using my frays or Safeway discount card , cheap foods rich in protein can be inexpensive , such as tuna cans, salmon pouches in single sieving packets are 88 cents. Dried fruit with 5 to 6?servings lasts the whole week, and are dried , in packages, mission figs and raisin, just the fruit , no extra added sugar. Whole wheat bread is $1 to $2 with 100% whole wheat (whole wheat first ingredient on the label, no added refined complex carbs such as refined white flour ). I get by, I couldn't sell my coins , maybe my bullion for a lower grade classic head gold . Like he said , studying gold counterfeit detection , reading books on historical gold mints, while reading my books and looking at my coins doing so helps me cope, and makes me happy,at my safety deposit box in the vault at the bank. Its not THAT dire. Sorry for the confusion! Injust had an accidents in my aikido martial arts clas, seperated my shoulder , but feeling better now. Thanks guys, Kevin.

Draft saved Draft deleted