Need thoughts on ‘24-D Lincoln and a ‘68 Shield

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Joe Campbell, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

Had a handful of coins arrive from eBay today. Mostly foreign and a handful of US. Below are pictures of the 1924-D Lincoln I purchased. Overall it’s in nice condition but something about looks off to me. Maybe it’s that it’s in better condition than the other ‘24-D’s I own. Maybe the surface is different. Maybe nothing at all. Interested in any thoughts at all.

Also throwing in a picture of a 1867 Shield nickel with a very cool die crack / retained cud.

Appreciate any thoughts you guys have. Thanks.

C4B886BD-07C6-4106-B75E-A57A8E86330A.png 48E2A0F5-3ECA-44F9-A60E-9D0E7F6614A9.png D60FFACF-A20D-4AE1-920B-88058C355C73.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robec

robec Junior Member

The Lincoln looks way off. Compare the 2 and 4 positions on your coin and mine. Also compare the difference in the M’s of UNUM in both coins. There are undoubtedly many more things to point out. These two immediately stood out.
    [​IMG]

Railguy, spirityoda, Paddy54 and 2 others like this.
  4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I agree with @robec unfortunately your coins don't appear to be genuine,that's a lovely cent!!!^^:):).

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Abe looks like he's soaking into the surface of the coin.

Also, look at that bump on the right side of the left wheat stalk, and compare it to the images here. Looks like this die (hub?) has been cranking out fakes since at least 2016.

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

+1 good eye....on the 24 d

robec likes this.
  7. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Looks like a fake to me.

8. Joe Campbell

Thanks everyone, I thought it looked fake as well. I bought it as part of a larger lot and wasn’t paying close enough attention.

9. Joe Campbell

Refunded, no issues.

wxcoin and robec like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted