Need some sage advice....

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Feb 16, 2018.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Next week, my friend from Montreal is proposing a new trade (Butterfies for Aurei) First trade is this nice Numerian aureus for $60K in butterflies. He said he paid that for this coin in 2002 auction. It was graded virtually FDC by Sothebys....bck then. Any thoughts????
    John

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

4. panzerman

5. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Some sage advice . . .
    If you want the sage to have a more noticeable presence in your meal use cut sage instead of ground sage. Sage pairs well with lamb, but use it in moderation as many people find it to have a medicinal flavor.

Seriously though, you are going to have a hard time catching $60k in butterflies this time of year, especially in Canada.

Seriously seriously though, I have never had any interest in collecting butterflies and know nothing of the hobby so I would take the trade in a heart beat.

6. I am not a sage; maybe 33% of the age required; but, I would say it's a good deal based off the most recent number this coin demanded at auction. In Numismatica Ars Classica's 78th auction, May 26th, 2014, this same coin brought a 75,000 CHF Hammer. The USD to CHF exchange rate in May 2014 was 1.12; bringing the effective USD Hammer to 84,000 USD. With NAC's 20% buyer's fee, the shipped to door price was 100,800 USD+. Definitely subjective in the Ancient Coin Realm; but one could even consider the additional 4.7% USD inflation rate in the last 4 years; bringing the 2018 translation number to 105,537 USD.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  7. P.S. don't show him this post; lest he ask for an additional 40K in butterflies. (never thought I'd form a sentence like this before.)

8. panzerman

Thanks, these are all African swallowtails, I paid around 15K for them, today they are valued at 60K. I will take your advice/ and Iamtiberius mathematical logic to take the offer. I still have another million dollars in butterlies that he craves to own. For him its a great deal too, my bug coll. was perfect AL quality/ great collecting data/ some now endangered sp.ssp.
    John
    My friend got a lot of his coins thru Ars Classica/ CNG/ NFA auctions

9. panzerman

Thats OUR secret;)

Pellinore, alde and Justin Lee like this.
  10. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

What kind of outfit you running in Canada!?

11. panzerman

A "one man" lawn maintenance business.....the only job I have ever had. No employees/ just a plain truck/equipment.
    Go eight months full bore, then have Winters off. Still do some snow for pocket $ for snowmobiling trips.

galba68, coin_nut, Theodosius and 6 others like this.
  12. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

That aroused ma curiosity... whit kind of ´gress´ ye wark??? o_O

Obone, Stevearino, panzerman and 2 others like this.
  13. alde

alde Always Learning

I would never have thought that butterflies would demand that kind of money. They are pretty and I enjoy seeing them on my flowers but would make the trade at the drop of the peverial hat.

On a side note my best friend and I were about to be laid off from our jobs. We decided all we need is a truck and some tools and we would be able to scratch together a living. Had I known that it could be a very healthy living I might have not taken the job that was offered to me and bought the truck.

galba68 and panzerman like this.
  14. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Those must be pretty special butterflies. By the way, I think I have a bunch of dead moths in my front porch light. I would be willing to shake them into a manila envelope and trade them even for Caligula sestertius. VF or better. Serious inquiries only. Somebody hit me up.

15. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

If you can afford it, the Numerian aureus is well worth $60k in butterflies.

I am starting to replace my portrait series with some gold. I would love that as my Numerian example.

16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Lemon and Sage chicken is great! :chicken:
    sage.JPG

Nice looking coin by the way ;)

panzerman and Gavin Richardson like this.
  17. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Difficult to say P-man. Have you looked it up in acsearch to see what they are going for nowadays?

Here are some that sold over the last 15 or so years: prices are all over the place.
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=numerian aureus salus &category=1-2&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&images=1&currency=usd&thesaurus=1&order=3&company=

Oh wait, I think I found it. The example you are being offered sold at NAC in 2014 for $84K.....
    Numerian .jpg

I think it is the same one.

Way beyond my league as to what to do.
    I think I would save the money and buy a sports car. Always wanted one.

I think i can be of more help, not with a 'sage' advice like paddyman98, but with thymian/rosemary advice:

Simply grind fresh or dry thymian and some rosemary, together with 1 tsp. cumin seeds, 1 tsp oregano, 1 clove garlic, pepper and salt. Add some vinegar, 2 tbsp soy sauce and some dark beer if you like. Grind to a paste-like or thick liquid consistency.
    Marinate chicken pieces in this for about 4-8 hrs. Put on the barbecue. You have never tasted anything like it. You will thank me for this ;).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  18. panzerman

Thanks for all the great advice/ also cooking hints. My only addiction is food:shame: Also use sage in poultry dressing. German recipe for goose/duck/rock cornish hens. Fry pound chicken livers with pureed onions/ fry until they are nice and brown.Then cut fried livers into small bits. Take one whole grain bread, cut slices into tiny cubes/ add this to 2 cups chicken bouillion. In a large bowl mix soaked bread cubes in with liver/onion bits. Add SAGE/ rosemary/marjoram/thyme/poultry seasoning. Stuff into bird/ both ends/secure. Then put bird into oven. When cooked, all the gooss inner fats will soak into yummy dressing:happy:

19. panzerman

Yes, some rare beetles/ butterflies fetch upto 30K for one specimen. With insects same rules as coins....rarity+quality=HIGH prices. My coll. was 95% AI=perfect, so it was/is worth a lot of $. Both hobbies also have crazy market trends. One is o. alexandrae (endangered) a AI pair sells on black market for 10K/ there are thousands in collections. Then we have the SS Central America treasure hoard of US 1857-S Double Eagles. Hundreds have been recovered, still on going. All coins were freshly minted, thus mint state 64/65/66/67. These still go for ridiculous auction prices 6-10K. Real price should be 3k/5K or less.

Gavin Richardson and Alegandron like this.
  20. panzerman

The kind that needs weekly mowing:(

RAGNAROK and Alegandron like this.
  21. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

How did he buy it in 2002 when it doesn't have a Sotheby's 2002 sale listed at NAC? And, if he bought it in 2002 but has it to trade now, why was it sold in 2014? Did he buy it back?

A Faustina Senior aureus you posted from a trade a while ago was also purchased recently. It strikes me as strange that this guy would be buying coins in the very recent past and then immediately selling them?

Draft saved Draft deleted