Need some opinions

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Basileus Antialcidas, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Basileus Antialcidas

Basileus Antialcidas Active Member

I wanted some opinions on this denarius I am about to purchase. Do you think it looks ok? It is not very often that I feel strange about a coin and this one is quite expensive. On the other hand I don't have a big experience with Augustus denarii, so what do you think? It is supposedly sold buy a seller with good reputation and in a good website. I thank you all!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I see some minor surface pitting, but it could be as a result of some kind of corrosion rather than casting.

svessien likes this.
  4. Theoderic

Theoderic Active Member

I would be wary of this piece. In particular, on the reverse photo I don't like what appears to be an edge impression seen between the 6 and 8 o'clock position.

5. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Whenever a coin has a concrete-like fabric, I take pause. It very well could merely be the 'old cabinet' tone of the coin, and how the camera captured it. Nothing immediately screams "fake" to me.

This type is very common in varying conditions(better/worse than the coin shown). It is one of the most widely available of the Augustus denarii.

A decent one can be had in the $150-$200 range.

If the seller guarantees authenticity, and can perhaps provide some sort of provenance, then it would be up to you on whether you feel comfortable or not dealing with them.

It deserves reiteration that if you (as a prospective buyer) feel wary about it; understand that there are plenty of other (legit) coins being offered by (legit) dealers in the sea.

6. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I wouldn't condemn this coin from the photos but I can give you an advice from personal experience - if you have doubts about authenticity, skip it. This is not a rare coin and you will surely find a similar one soon.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  7. Basileus Antialcidas

Basileus Antialcidas Active Member

The thing is that I already gave some money in advance. The seller is in a well known online coin mall and the authenticity is guaranteed so I guess I will just see it in hand and if I have any doubts I will send it back.

8. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

The coin has a pleasing portrait of Augustus.

Hopefully it checks out and you like it (all that really matters).

Draft saved Draft deleted