Need some info please.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GUNNER63736, Jan 25, 2020.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

I collect silver coins both certified and raw. I would like to own at least one gold coin in my meger collection. Keeping in mind that I have a low budget collection, normally in the 20-30 range per silver coin, certified and raw. What would you suggest for one gold coin? Is there any gold coins worth owning on the lower end? Does anyone do any trading? Thanks for your patience with my old man rambling.

Inspector43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ripple

ripple Active Member

The premiums are so high on fractional pieces that it’s hard to justify from what I’ve found.

4. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

1 dollar gold coins can be picked up for less than $200.00. They have about $75.00 of gold content.

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You may be able to pick up a slabbed/details gold coin on the Bay fairly cheap. It may have been cleaned or been former jewelry.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

When it comes to common date gold, raw or slabbed, the smaller the denomination the more you're gonna pay for numismatic value. This is an example of what I mean -
    Your best value is to buy the larger denomination coins. $20 gold, already slabbed and graded as high as 63 and 64 in some cases, can usually be purchased for about 10% over melt. Same for raw examples. But the thing is, even if the coins are VF, slabbed or raw, the cost is the same - purely because of the gold content.

And yeah, for the budget minded a $20 gold piece is a big nut to crack. So are the $10 gold pieces, and they have a higher percentage over spot. But it's often an easier pill to swallow than paying $200 for $75 worth of gold.

And by the way, if you decide to go the $1 gold direction, make sure you only buy slabbed as fakes abound with $1 gold !

Danomite likes this.
  7. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info folks. I love this forum. I think I will hold off on purchasing silver for awhile and save up for a $20.00 slabbed gold coin. I'll be saving for awhile. Lol.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Wise choice ;) And just so ya know, what I said above about common date gold, it's been true for decades and it aint gonna change. Point being you got all the time ya need :)

9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

@GUNNER63736 May I recommend Mexican Gold Pesos of various sizes. I actually like both the obverse and reverse designs. a 2 peso for $87.
    such as ==> https://www.apmex.com/category/13200/mexican-gold-pesos/all?vt=g

or even if you want AGE 1/10ths
    https://www.providentmetals.com/1-10-oz-us-gold-eagle-coin-dates-our-choice.html

I listed two big websites above that sell both I believe. Enough to peruse and select to your hearts desires.

but right now Gold is itself at a premium from just 6 months ago. I'm out of the market until it floats back under 1400. I last bought when it was in the 1200s, not too long ago.

Of course, even though the "Mexico Gold 2 Pesos AGW .0482 (Random Year)" is $87 you need to calculate out the premium you are paying. Also research Sell Back costs. And it depends if you are "stacking" for the metal, or collecting the designs and desire to have gold.

I have multiple stacks. I had the (a) stacking stack with preferred designs, and (b) and the stuff I like the designs off. So I have US $1, $2.50, $3, $5, $10, $20s + AGE for my "collection".

I started looking at all the modern commems to stack and also "Fractional California Gold and Territorial Gold" ... but I didn't really like the designs so I stopped. I didn't have a desire to go down that road with stacking stuff I didn't like the designs of.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Canadian 1/10th oz. Is a beautiful gold coin to have.

11. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

If you have some duplicate silver there are a lot of coin dealers that will trade even up (list to list) and try not to increase their profit by trading the buy price of yours against the sell price of theirs.

12. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

This old vet feels the same way. I have one gold coin that I got many years ago. It is a 1899-S $5.

13. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I dont know if Mexican coinage works for you, but my first thought was the 1945 2 peso, .0482 AGW, nice ones can be had for $90.

Draft saved Draft deleted