Need some info. please.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GUNNER63736, Jul 30, 2019.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me what the markings on my PCGS label means. SERIES32PR COIN51A. Thanks for your help. Just curious.

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The Series and coin numbers was something that PCGS uses/used internally Each coin series had a number starting with the Liberty cap left half sent as series 1, The Roosevelt dime is series number 32 the PR after the series number indicates it is a proof. Each coin in the series had a coin number. In the case of the Roosevelt dimes the 1946 P was coin number 1 the D was number 2 and so on. The 2003 S is number 51. The 2003 S comes in both clad and silver so the clad is 51 and the silver is 51A.

PCGS actually wanted people to use the Series and coin numbers when they made their submissions but they didn't do a very good job of making the numbers available and for the most part no one used them. If you are interested the coin numbers can be found here (The coin number system has changed since that coin was slabbed) This is the most recent number list https://www.pcgs.com/pcgsnolookup/

In late 1999 PCGS began including the Series and Coin numbers on the slab labels. Maybe in an attempt to get people to start using them, I don't know. The number stayed on the labels until November 2005 when they quietly dropped them.

4. GUNNER63736

Thanks so much for the info.

5. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

6. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

that's a really nice coin , but I'm a bit confused , wouldn't the grading &. slabing of that coin cost more than it's worth?

7. GUNNER63736

Just to clarify. I didn't have this coin certified myself. I purchased it on ebay for that price already certified by pcgs. Best I recall in my old age is I paid $8 and change for it shipped. I am a low budget collector. I thought it was a pretty good buy.

8. GUNNER63736

Well, another old age mistake. I stated above that I paid $8.00 for this coin. I actually paid $13.00 for it. Bought a couple and got them mixed up. I am still happy with the price though. Have fun collecting all.

9. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

sound like a really good deal for a certified coin nice find!

10. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

Great info - I have a PCGS Morgan like that; had never seen the numbers before. They didnt seem important so I never went any further!

Draft saved Draft deleted