need some ideas on value please

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by FooFighter, Sep 28, 2019.

1. FooFighter

FooFighter Just a Knucklehead Coin Hunter

Good morning folks. I'm trying to help my daughter sell some coins she has with her boyfriend. If I drove to a coin shop, it would probably be 2-3 hours west to Pittsburg or East to Philly.
    So I just want to make sure I'm at least in the ballpark with these coins . Without your help, I probably wouldnt even be in the right city on these. Lol
    I apologize in advance, but we have 10 coins,.
    So here's the 1st one. Easy, no date Buffalo, $1? 20190928_085235.jpg
    20190928_085159.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

On this one, you would use up the value in gas just idling in the driveway waiting for everyone to get into the car! :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

4. FooFighter

Ok, ok were just getting started, my friend
    • Lol

PlanoSteve likes this.
  5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

A while back when you first started posting, members recommended that you purchase a copy of A Guide Book of United States Coins (the Redbook). No need to drive to PGH or Philly (Plus there are coin shops in Johnstown, Somerset, and Gettysburg and probably others in places like state college or harrisburg).

You can get a good ballpark idea of the values if you just look them up in your copy and see that the book was well worth the $10-15 you paid for it.

6. FooFighter

Yes, I planned to do that with my next money flow. Thanx

7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

A no-date buffalo can be had for as low as 10 cents sometimes, usually from a coin shop.

On eBay, they generally sell for $0.25 a pop!

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yeah.... I buy all the no date Buffalo’s from my dealer a couple times a year so I can hand them out to kids. He sells them to me in bulk at six cents each. Without a date five-ten cents is all these will command.

9. FooFighter

Well, here's to better days, and sunnier days.
    I dont live on the other side of the RxR tracks any more. Maybe I can get some real coins from here on out. Lol
    Thanks for the info people.

PlanoSteve and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  10. Randy Abercrombie

Hey look..... Where else can you hold that much history in your hands for mere pennies??

Oldhoopster likes this.
  11. FooFighter

No no, the history isnt lost on me. But I think I'll go play with my Standings and Walkings.
    Ha

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I thought it might be a 1913 because of the mound. But checking photos,
    the 1913 that's on a mound, the mound is moundier than that.
    So if it is just a no date Buffalo, 25 cents retail max. The coin guy would offer zero.

13. hotwheelsearl

I used to vinegar-date my dateless buffalo nickels. I sold a few of the nicer ones like 1918-D for over $5 sometimes

Kevin Mader and eddiespin like this.
  14. FooFighter

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but sis you soak the whole coin, or just the date?
    And did you use hydrogen peroxide, or just vinegar?

15. FooFighter

I actually need to get off my butt and investigate the 3 feather thing. What's that about?

16. Randy Abercrombie

When I did it I used a mixture of vinegar and peroxide. I can’t remember the ration. I left them overnight. They did produce a date but they turned white as a ghost.

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I took some dateless buffaloes and did this as an experiment.
    White vinegar with a dash of hydrogen peroxide. I soaked the whole coin.
    Most of them the date did appear, but the coin picks up an unnatural lighter
    color from being acid etched.
    (Let's say 4 ounces of vinegar and a half ounce of HP, just a guess.)
    Some I soaked for an hour or two. Some overnight.
    While I was able to read most of the dates, I wouldn't do it again, or
    recommend it.

18. hotwheelsearl

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  19. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Short story: Normal Buff has 3 feathers (one is just the tip, sticking out behind & between the neck & the long feather. Some '16, '17, '17 S, & '18 Buffs are known to be missing this third feather, & are known as "2-feathers" (the valuable ones). When you get a red book, you will see them listed separately. (I'm not being rude; you already mentioned in another thread that you did not have a red book. :happy:)

FooFighter likes this.
  20. FooFighter

No it's cool my friend. Just,,,, things have been very difficult, and that's, well,,, not the LAST thing on my list, but not the next either. But thanks indo appreciate it.
    And thank you for the explanation on the feathers.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  21. Travis G

Travis G Active Member

It's a rare error I have a few dozen paid 5 bucks at local coin shop. What a sucker?

Draft saved Draft deleted