need some help.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Crobattt, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

Hey guys, tomorrow ill be going out and buy a lot of coins, and silver, and such. this got me thinking, i really need a safe or something. So i'm wanting to know if you guys have any safes in mind that are good quality, good price, and a little bit small. thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

A decent safe is not cheap. A cheap safe is not decent. I bought a large, used one (600 lbs. empty) for a few hundred dollars. Then another hundred or so to secure it and hide it.

If you buy a small document safe and have a break-in, they'll just steal your safe. So now you're out your coins and your safe.

You're best route would be to invest in a safety deposit box.

I have three of them. One in each of three banks.

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello Crobattt,

I just saw this post asking about a safe. My immediate advice is that you keep your coin collecting hobby & the location of your coins secret from everyone except maybe your parents & Grandmother. This will keep your collection more secure. [If people don't know that you have a coin collection, then they won't be targeting your house when they feel the need to steal money].

Also, keeping your collection hidden in more than 1 location such as (1/2 in a bank vault) might be a good idea.

5. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

I agree with that! I just keep most of my colleting behind my fish tank. hint....hint..lol

6. Scrap Metal

Scrap Metal New Member

I have my collection insured on my homeowner's policy. If you don't own a house, you can get renter's insurance rather inexpensively and add your coins to it. Coins are not automatically insured on your policy. You need to add them separately.

7. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

Sounds like a Safe Deposit Box was designed for your needs.
    Climate control, insurance and security included.

8. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I have never had a safety deposit box, are there different sizes, or are they pretty standard? How big is an average box? I can't beleive it would hold even a tenth of my collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted