Need some help with a couple small Greek coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by The Meat man, Apr 12, 2022.

1. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Hello everybody,

I recently acquired a small group lot of 4 small Greek bronze coins, ostensibly from ancient Syracuse. I've been trying to identify them and I think I've got 2 down but I cannot seem to find any match to this one:

Screenshot 2022-04-12 214810.png Screenshot 2022-04-12 214824.png

There seem to be a fair amount of coins with one or the other facing left but I can't seem to find any coins similar with both the bust and Pegasus facing right.
    I don't have a pair of calipers handy, but I'd say it's about 15 - 16mm, and weighs right on 3 grams.

And I'll just throw this one up too, just in case someone can give me a head start on it as well. This one is maybe 16mm and weighs 4.1 grams:

Screenshot 2022-04-12 220049.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-12 220418.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

4. svessien

svessien Senior Member

5. The Meat man

Excellent! I will take a closer look tonight when I have more time. Thank you both!! :happy:

akeady likes this.
  6. Spargrodan

Spargrodan Well-Known Member

I think @akeady and @svessien are correct.

I believe the first one is HGC 2 1508.
    Obv. Head of Apollo.
    Rev. Flying Pegasus.

Second one is HGC 2 1490. This one is rare.
    Obv. Head of Arethousa.
    Rev. Charging bull.

Booth strucked under Agathokles.

The Meat man likes this.
  7. The Meat man

Thanks! That is good to know.
    Now I'm curious, how rare is rare? Any idea of its market value?

8. Spargrodan

Spargrodan Well-Known Member

HGC says R1 with the definintion. "Rare. Whitin a range of 10-30 examples. R1 coins appear in a smaller number of collections and catalogs. R1 coins will be available on the market infrequently, perhaps several times a year."

About the price it's hard to say but similar coins in the same grade sells for 50-150 euro.

The Meat man and ominus1 like this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Unfortunately in addition to "rare" it has to have an audience that wants it. I hope you have a very valuable coin there.

10. The Meat man

Yeah for it to be "very valuable" it needs to be not only rare but also in high demand, and I don't think these little coins are particularly sought-after. That's fine though, I didn't buy them to flip for profit. I sort of bought them accidentally, as a matter of fact. I placed what I thought was a low bid on the lot and ended up winning. :)

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted