Need some help please

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by yossi schnitzer, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Hello all I'm new here and can usr some help. 20180418_200038.gif 20180418_200050.gif
    I just got this coin and after doing some research i think it is an ARCADIUS. Could anyone please help me and verify that I'm correct?

Bing, Theodosius and ominus1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I think you are correct, looks like the legend is "DNA????". Theodosius I or II has some of these also (I don't remember, maybe both), but it doesn't look like a "T" in the third spot to me.

Here's mine, about the same shape!

1023_zps8ao96kop.jpg

ARCADIUS, 401-403 AD.

O: DN ARCADIVS PF AVG,Pearl-diademed, helmeted, and cuirassed bust facing slightly right, holding spear and shield. / Constantinopolis enthroned facing, head right, foot on prow, holding scepter and Victory on globe. (CONSA in ex) Constantinople mint. RIC X:85, 17 mm, 3.0 g

4. Thank you.
    But how can you tell the mint mark here? i cant see anything there?

5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I see DN AR as well. DOMINUS NOSTER AR[CADIUS].

I love that facing bust. One of the redeeming features of some fairly ugly late Roman coinage.

ominus1 likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You are correct. You can see the bottom half of DN ARCA at the left of the obverse which separates this emperor from Honorius who also issued the type.
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/ricix/
    Use the above site to see if you can figure out more about the coin. There is a trace of the mintmark remaining but I believe it is enough to call the city.

ominus1 likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This one is from Antioch with ANT at the bottom of the reverse. Yours is different. The site I linked above will help if you read the top parts of letters. With these little coins, reading part letters accurately is a good skill to practice.
    ry7920bb0473.jpg

Bing, chrsmat71 and ominus1 like this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..the ole front facing Arcadius fractional..kool coin.

9. Thank you all. great help.

ominus1 likes this.
  10. One more thing bothers me. my coins diameter is 9.1mm and 1.58 gr. and i know it should be almost twice then that. so what do i have? a fake?

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Considering the condition, I suspect your coin weighed considerably more when it was new.

12. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

That does seem pretty tiny, even for this time period. "Fake" is rather harsh. My guess is that it's a Vandalic-era imitation.

13. so do i treat imitation like this different then fakes? and what is the difference exactly?

14. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Many of the people surrounding the remnants of the diminishing eastern Roman Empire of the 5th and 6th centuries, such as the Vandals in Spain and North Africa, minted coins mimicking Roman coins. Your coin, if it is an imitation, is still ancient and was made for use in trade just like any other coin.

Fakes are generally assumed to be modern, or at least, many centuries newer than the coins they imitate, and they are made to deceive collectors or tourists.

Fakes: nasty. Imitations: interesting.

Gavin Richardson and Alegandron like this.
  15. thanks that was interesting and illuminating.

Draft saved Draft deleted