Need Some Assistance - Father-in-Law's Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Histman, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Hey Folks! I could really use some assistance from those of you with the expertise. My father-in-law (wonderful man) passed away on Monday. He was 82 and an avid coin collector. I found something in his collection that was a bit different, but immediately struck me as replicas. Nonetheless, I told my mother-in-law I would do some research just to be sure. My LCS only deals in modern US coins, bullion, etc., so they weren't any help. I've looked and looked online and can't find any reference to these as well. Anyway, he has this set (see pictures) that come with a parchment for each coin. The parchment comes with a picture of the coin and a description of its historical significance. These were kept in a bank check box and come with no other information. I've included pictures of the parchments and both sides of the coins. If I had to lay money I would say they are replicas. They do not stick to a magnet and don't appear to have any silver. Any information would be great. If something grabs your attention and you'd like to see a closer picture of both sides, please let me know. The pictures were just taken to go with the parchments. Anyway, thanks for looking. Replicas #1.jpg Replicas #2.jpg

Replicas #3.jpg
    Replicas #4.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

They are very likely replicas and they have that "replica look." I think your instincts are correct. However, they appear to be pretty decent replicas. Most people will never own a single example of these coins, much less all of them at once. These may serve as "fantasy replicas." I really like the Sommer Island coins, for example (the ones picturing a boar).

They may have come from a place like this. They have a page focusing on Early American Coin Replicas. But I don't see any of the coins above stamped with the word "copy." Perhaps they are older replicas?

Of course, I'm no expert, either. Let's see what others say.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They all have that replica look and packaged the way they are convinces me even more.

Please accept my condolences on your loss. It is wonderful of you to spend time to take care of your mother-in-law.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Museums and other "educational" souvenir stores had these very often. The Revolutionary cosplay performances often had civil war and confederate replicas. Jim

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Impressive set. Only piece I have any experience with is the USA bar cent. I can say that the denticles on your piece are not as clean and defined as what I am used to seeing.

More than that to me this strikes me as an intentionally created set of quality reproductions. Something you would pick up in a museum gift shop or something like that. Done years ago before reproductions had to be stamped as copies. I hope they are genuine. Just seems too well put together somehow.

7. Histman

I checked that site and saw many of the same coins. It appears that he got it as a "set" instead of individually. Thank you for your thoughts.

8. Histman

Thank you. He was a fantastic man and much more of a father to me than my own.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  9. Histman

I lived in South Carolina and got replica Confederate currency while visiting Ft. Sumter back in the 70s. He probably picked them up in a gift shop somewhere. He was from Tennessee.

10. Histman

Thanks for your input. He was from Tennessee and it wouldn't be out of the realm of him picking them up in some gift shop.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted