Need quick reply for handling coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Silver4Me, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Silver4Me

Silver4Me Member

Went to my local hobby lobby and got some coin holders but they didn't have cotton gloves what would be the next best thing to use?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Hold the coins only by their edges and with CLEAN hands.

4. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

your teeth...just dont use your fingers!

jmon likes this.
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Very few use cotton gloves any more because the cloth can scratch a coin surface. Rick is correct.

Endeavor likes this.
  6. Silver4Me

Silver4Me Member

I understand the importance of only touching rim but I got the air tight holders so I will have to press it in unless there is another way but I ment something to wear over my hand

7. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

How about just using a clean microfibre cloth to press it in?

8. Silver4Me

Silver4Me Member

I'm holding off on doing it until I get a definitive answer

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Nitrile or latex gloves will work for 'pressing it in". You can buy a small pack at most 99 cent store. A few members have a stange sense of humor ,so I can understand you waiting for more responses.

10. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

I assume you are using airtites with foam rings? Take the larger half of airtite, place the foam inside it, then using a same size bullion (melt worth) coin enlarge the opening, so that the foam becomes bit thinner. Then slide the coin sideways, without any pushing. Don't touch the surface of coin, especially if a proof.

11. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

What about pushing through a plastic bag? Whenever I got Silver Eagles or Maple Leafs, they each came in a bag. I put the foam ring and half the Air-Tite inside the bag, under the coin while holding the coin up by the edges through the bag. Then, I push the rim into the ring through the bag as well. To finish it of, I put the other half of the Air-Tite over it and squeeze through the bag. Yes, if I can help it, my slabs and Air-Tites do not get scratches on them, either.;)

McBlzr and Silver4Me like this.
  12. Silver4Me

Silver4Me Member

I'm ok with the funny answers don't get me wrong but I'm still only novice stage and would hate to jeopardize a coin without asking first preserving history is my number one reason for collecting coins is hate to take a MS64 and turn it to trash because I scratched it or some other horrible accident

13. Silver4Me

Silver4Me Member

Great idea Torontokuba!

torontokuba likes this.
  14. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Thanks. I figure the coin is already touching the same plastic when you get it. Couldn't see the harm. I also have a stack of brand new slab sized baggies on hand, in case I need a larger new bag for the Air-Tite to fit during the complex maneuver.;) I simply, gently drop coin from smaller baggie to larger. If worried about ziplock seal on the smaller baggie scratching the new coin, cut it off prior to transfer.

15. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

If you are going to place them in a holder. Use a plastic tongs, and press the coin in with a flat piece of plastic, without moving it across the surface of the coin. Plastic on plastic. placing in a two x two, first air blow the surface of the 2x2 first then pick the coin up only by the edge, with clean, dry, hands. Once stapled, press the staples flat to the board surface on both sides. This will prevent the staples from scratching the coins and cutting the plastic covers.
    Cotton will scratch the surface of a UNC or Proof coin. I have not used a micro fiber one. The Mint uses tongs on the edges of a coin, and you can see some of this on some of the process on TV and home information, that you can buy, or see on the internet.

16. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I always hold any coin of value by the edge. If it's a proof coin I use cotton gloves while holding by the edge.

Draft saved Draft deleted