Need opinions from variety collectors

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by eric6794, Feb 7, 2016.

1. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

My bank for the most part these days seem to only have the Shield cents and the modern Jefferson Nickels. With these designs I see there are doubled dies but for the most part they seem minor. My question is do you think these are worth searching for? do you think they are going to have much premium in the future? I am debating on searching these coins but want opinions before I go through through boxes of them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Paddy is a real variety collector. I bet he'll be through here as soon as he sees the thread.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@eric6794

You're going to get opposing views on this subject.

My personal opinion is that many of the latest varieties are too minor to increase in value any time soon. Don't be surprised if what they are worth today is about as high as they will go...........ever!

If you want to search for them, it is up to you. The biggest thing you have going against you is that the zincolns have already proven to be an unstable metal composition, but at the same time, they are not worth having professionally slabbed to preserve the condition.

Chris

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

There have been at least a few rather significant (in context, of course) doubled dies in the shield cent series thus far, and there's another active thread in which some fellow is not-so-slyly trying to hawk a certain recent nickel type (was new to me; beyond this I'm not familiar enough to say either way with 5C). If only interested in the more significant, I would think that after familiarizing yourself with those of interest, you should be able to blast through a box fairly quickly.

With that said though, roll/variety searching should be done primarily for fun and not hoped for profit (as its one of the generally least profitable time wasters one can do). If something you'll have fun with, there's certainly no harm in trying. Good luck whatever your choice.

6. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

As someone who spent a lot of time buying bricks of cent rolls and searching for varieties, I simply grew bored of it after awhile. I recieved a box of solid 2014 P shields and at that point i just stopped. I havent even opened them. I looked into the newer single squeeze hubbing and viewed the doubled dies being found from that and most were so minor i didnt really see the point. I have also become so picky in the coins that i buy, that most varieties found in pocket change dont give me that spark anymore. Really all i think that matters is if the coin gives you an excited or anxious feeling, variety or not, then its worth collecting. If you're questioning to search the new stuff for varieties than maybe its not what you really want to collect. Dont get me wrong searching varieties can teach you a lot but dont get burned out over something that doesnt give you that spark.

paddyman98 and eric6794 like this.
  7. cpm9ball

What I used to have more fun doing is searching Mint bags of dollars, half dollars or quarters for high grades (MS68 and up). Every once in a while a nice variety or error would turn up, too. Sure, you pay a premium for the Mint bags, but all you need to find is 3-5 MS68 business strikes, and you've not only paid for the entire bag plus the grading fees, but you still have the rest of the bag.

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. eric6794

I really like searching roll's for varieties I mostly do it for fun but I like having the chance at finding something worth some money. I just dont see current Lincoln or Jefferson mintage ever producing a doubled die like the 83 reverse the 95 obverse (which I have found in circulation) the single squeeze process has for the most part eliminated any good chance of finding a significant doubled die from what I can tell. I dont remember what year they started the single squeeze. I may give them a chance for at least one box.

9. eric6794

Chris I do not know how to tell the difference between MS63 or 68, My eyes re not that trained lol

10. eric6794

What kinda course or training would you recommend to learn the difference between the MS's?

Evan8 likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

If you can't tell the difference between those two, then you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

I trained myself by submitting only the best specimens from a bag, and learning the grading tendencies of NGC.

Chris

eric6794 likes this.
  12. Evan8

Pcgs coin facts and heritage auctions. Both will offer high quality photos and pcgs will give you access to photograde. I also use an older heritage auction catalogue to see their photos of rare and high grade coins.

eric6794 likes this.
  13. eric6794

I'm going to get a Mint bag even though I dont know for sure how to grade coins but I will learn I suppose the hard way. If nothing else I can save them in something until I do learn. Doesnt hurt to have money laying around lol. I will also have to get a better setup than I have if I want to attempt something like that. Right now I am working with a usb microscope a 30x loop and led head lamp.

14. Evan8

Also when you look at the same type of coin over and over youll begin to see what a high grade example should look like. I have looked at around 50,000 lincoln cents, wheat and memorial, and have developed an eye for what is nice and what is not.

eric6794 likes this.
  15. chip

chip Novice collector

I know that you are asking Chris, but many on the site recommend the ana seminars, others have expressed that looking at many many tpg examples will help you to hone your skills.

Or you could order a few bags of quarters direct from the mint, go through them one by one with a good light and a nice loupe, and sort them by condition, since they are all uncirculated at the worst the most dinged up baggy one should be at least a 60.

Read the ana grading guide, get the book, making the grade and read the grading guidelines in the red book,

notice what are the prime focal areas are.

notice how a hit on some spots does not seem to look as bad as a hit in another area.

arrange the coins in order from what you consider the best least marked ones, to the worst.

My brother and I spent a few hours going over a few bags of the atb quarters and we were both able to pick out the best ones, I tended to call the very best, usually two or three to a 100 coin bag, 67s, and there was usually at least one coin that was cleaner and more desirable than all the rest.

eric6794 likes this.
  16. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Q: My question is do you think these are worth searching for?
    A: If you enjoy searching then yes its worth it.

Q: Do you think they are going to have much premium in the future?
    A: There will be some that become popular and some will fizzle out.

17. cpm9ball

The problem with the ANA Grading Standards is there are no descriptions between MS70 and MS67. Are we to assume that MS68 & MS69 do not exist? A minimum grade of MS68 for business strikes is what I am always after. I've never found fewer than a dozen or so that would grade MS68 in any bag of 250 or more coins. It more than covers the expenses and gives you a profit, but the MS67's won't always produce the same results. Another problem is that there are no guidelines for a series like SQ's or ATB's where the reverse design changes every year.

I've never attended an ANA grading class, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which are the prime focal areas for most of the modern coins of today. For that matter, what difference does it make if you're looking only for specimens that will grade MS68 or better. According to the ANA Grading Standards, they must be just like MS70's since they're not even mentioned in the book.

Chris

18. cpm9ball

There should be nothing wrong with the USB scope if you use the minimum magnification. The 30x loupe isn't needed. You need a 10x-15x loupe. For examining coins, I prefer to use fluorescent lighting, but I've never tried LED lighting.

Before you begin, send me a PM, and I'll help you along the way.

Chris

eric6794, Stevearino and coinzip like this.
  19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I will have to agree with Alan statement above do you enjoy the search,and with the new variety hold value or fizzle out.
    To me there are two types of variety collector . One who searches older type coins ,and the other one whom searches bags or rolls for modern varieties .
    This to me is a personal choice.....just like collecting cent or nickel series.
    As a senior collector most modern finds do not excite me!
    I find walking a show seeing a specimen, and having the knowledge to determine if it's worth pulling the trigger on.
    Not to say bag or roll searching can't be fun or rewarding I feel that the varieties found are not as significant enough to hold interest by collectors. At least not me....
    Another point to my type of variety collecting is that most are known . So using reference guides "cpg" or other books on this subject makes a find concrete . You already know die markers,that give you proof your find is the real deal.
    As far finding variety coins from the fifties , sixties yes I sure there are coins out there but few and far between .
    I believe it all depends on someone taking a hoard of coins from an estate and dumping them back into circulation .
    I also believe it depends on the banks demand for coinage from the feds. A few years back if you recall the economy was bad and everyone who had a penny jar in house was taking them to coin star. That caused no new coinage being released by the fed as there was enough money in the system to maintain the public needs.
    Maybe switching up banks ,or going to smaller banks could produce more of a mix rather than a brick of single dated coins.

20. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

There is one other point I just remembered . And the point is this..... You may think you found a new variety . But those whom determine if it is or is not, for the most part "will not" put their reputation on the line, until others are found. Thus your find may be in limbo until others are found. In some cases once found and the variety is published others will begin searching increasing your odds to a new find and you getting the credit for the find.
    You can become discouraged as the process can be a long process,and even if attributed it can be delisted as one of mine was a month after it was confirmed a new find.

21. Russ50

Russ50 New Member

I live on the east coast and collected cents for years along with nickles dimes halves and dollars. Are cents worth searching though for double die of value ? I for my own thought was searching for the thrill of finding something valuable to me. To me d and s coins were valuable to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted