Need info on this coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by enterwrong, Jan 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. enterwrong

enterwrong New Member

Any info would be appreciated. I know its Roman.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Thomas c

Thomas c Veni, vidi, vici, Julius Caesar

4. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Hi, welcome to the forum. It's great to see your first post after 7 years! We're you considering asking for information about your coin back then? It appears you have already recently recieved a fair amount of information via a couple posts on Facebook groups about 2 weeks ago and again 2 days ago. Is there anything else that you need help with?
    SmartSelect_20200116-083258_Facebook.jpg SmartSelect_20200116-083244_Facebook.jpg SmartSelect_20200116-083311_Facebook.jpg SmartSelect_20200116-083323_Facebook.jpg

Where did you get this coin back then? Did someone leave/give it to you? Did you purchase it? What do you find interesting about ancient coins? Do you have any other ancient coins in your collection?

red_spork and TIF like this.
  5. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

I don’t think the envelope fits this coin. The writing says “Const. de Gr.” I believe. Dutch for Constantijn de Grote or Constantine the Great.

6. enterwrong

enterwrong New Member

This coin was given to me in the netherlands from an elder. I have 1 other roman coin I can post for information. Yes I have posted in a few groups on facebook but being that I am not familiar with coins I wanted to broaden? Included is the other coin I have. I would like to know value of BOTH coins if able? Ive had these in my possession for 20 years or so. Thanks

Attached Files:

7. Justin Lee

This one appears to be Constantine (IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG) with Mars on the reverse (MARTI PATRI CONSERVATORI) from the Trier mint (PTR) with T/F in fields.
    http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.6.tri.831

Some "similar" examples on Vcoins:

8. Justin Lee

Something about the portrait (nose, eye socket, cheek, hair), fabric (around the hair and fields on obverse), and wear (cheek bone but not the ear/radiate crown/hair) of your Augustus coin doesn't sit right in my gut (also the C is very box-y in it's shape where nearly all others appear to be really circular). I'm not an expert, though, so take from that what you will; simply one person's gut opinion. Maybe others will have differing opinions?

If authentic, I'd guess it's value would be around the $150 mark. Here are some ranges of quality of the type sold at CNG.

9. Andrew McMenamin

Andrew McMenamin Nerva You Mind

Your coin is:
    Augustus Æ Dupondius, RIC 56 [Caligula], Cohen 87 [Augustus], BMC 88
    Caligula & Divus Augustus Æ Dupondius. 37-41 AD. CONSENSV SENAT ET EQ ORDIN P Q R, laureate & togate statue of Gaius Caligula seated left on curule chair, holding branch / DIVVS AVGVSTVS S-C, radiate head of Divus Augustus left. Cohen 87

It appears to be an excellent specimen and genuine. Congrats!

Draft saved Draft deleted