Need info on this coin please

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by TokinTurtles, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Zowy4

Zowy4 New Member

i’m Also new to CT and am just looking through stuff and am a bit confused on this... it does look like it was probably turned down in a lathe and just received significant
    Wear after that so you don’t see tooling marks but it appears to me the turned coin is quite thicker (+0.01”)than the other quarter. Now again, i’m A novice compared to you all but I don’t think blank coin sheet varies by (+/-0.01)?

TokinTurtles likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TokinTurtles

TokinTurtles New Member

I felt the same on that issue. I watched a video of someone making a ring out of a quarter and it flares and distores the size. Because of the rim being flared out by the spoon it will gain a thickness. And it takes like 2.5 hrs of steady whacking on the coin to get it flat nm out enough. My guess is this coin probably had maybe 30 min of pecking on it and someone gave up. I guess I'd have to watch a detailed full coin to ring progress video or try it myself to see if this is what is going on. I dont have a tool to measure the dimensions but it appears visually that only the rim is thicker not any of the recessed coin. But then again all of the edges are really sharp and neat. It's only in that one pic I took u can see the ridges of the coin and tbh that detail was taken in a pic by random chance not like I linked to up or knew it was there. This group has been amazing g and very helpful. I'm sure some of our elders and experts here can shed a little light to this.

Zowy4 likes this.
  4. Zowy4

Zowy4 New Member

Well, if someone is willing to sit there and wack at a coin for hours at least it proves they have tenacity. and it would push out to the edges but to get uniformity and be concentric then it probably done on a machine. Every hit with the “spoon” or tool would create a unique form. Thanks for the conversation like I say i’m New too and haven’t seen what all is out there or what has been done to coins to alter them or what’s
    Come off the press other than what i’ve Seen or researched... be well TT thank you

TokinTurtles likes this.
  5. TokinTurtles

TokinTurtles New Member

:) nice talking with you! And I agree the uts too smooth to be spooned to death why would some one try to machine it what is the purpose other than tinkering or curiosity?

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

As a youngster, I destroyed many a nickel and quarter creating these spooned rings. I obviously had far too much time on my hands... Welcome to CT!

TokinTurtles likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Now see! If you had spent more of that time in the pool room, I might have taken those nickels and quarters from you. ~ Chris ;)

8. Randy Abercrombie

I chalked up a fairly mean stick in my day. I’d take you up on that! For a game or two anyways. Only so much money I am willing to lose!

TokinTurtles likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

For a game or two? You don't sound like you have too much confidence in your game. ~ Chris

TokinTurtles likes this.
  10. Randy Abercrombie

Not these days. My eight years in the Army I was a sharp player. The 30-40 years since then I suspect my skills have deteriorated!

TokinTurtles likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You should have spent more time in the garden growing veggies and flowers. They make mom happy.

12. Zowy4

Zowy4 New Member

Nice thread, again nothing against you CPM9ball I just never would have thought that someone would take the time to do this stuff. As a kid I was just happy to get a wheat back or silver dime as my payment on my paper route

Draft saved Draft deleted