Need info on Sicily Billon Denaro

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by sonlarson, Feb 28, 2015.

1. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

I am looking for information on this coin. I purchased it for a project I am working on. The description I have is a Billon Denaro from Sicily circa 1400s. I have searched the web for any information and came up dry. What I have found is that billon is an alloy of silver and copper and that a Denaro is a portion of the Denari. I don't have any resources past the 1700s. I am looking to narrow down the date of the coin and find some data on the images. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

1400s sicily billon denaro.jpg

stevex6 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You might have better luck on the World board. We here on ancients would see this coin as modern. Billon is generally an alloy with less than 25% silver that never really looks like good silver but is still gray. Denaro is just a more modern and Italian spelling derived from denarius and mean little more than 'standard silver coin'. Compare:
    http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=995962
    This is not an exact match!!!

4. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Thanks Doug. That's a lot more than I had before. I am looking for a coin dating close to the era of 1452. Looks like I am close. Wish they dated coins at that time.

Draft saved Draft deleted