Need ID Help Plz - & Help w/Bronze Disease!! eeeek

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Xodus, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Hey Guys! Life has been so busy I haven't had much time to enjoy my coins. However, I found a few moments today and thought I'd try and get some help with identifying this coin.

I'm no expert, but I believe it has active bronze disease. I am wondering if there is a simple solution - ie, something I can buy and dip it in?

It looks like the coin is from the 1st or 2nd century. Confronting bust, and the bigger bust (maybe Augustus?). I believe on the 5 o clock to noon position it may read AVGVS CAESAR, but I could be wrong (usually the case). Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

IMG_20210430_172204879.jpg IMG_20210430_172221363.jpg

galba68, paschka, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

You need to start by neutralizing it ASAP. Get that coin in distilled water!

DonnaML, John Conduitt and Xodus like this.
  4. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Okay, done! Thanks :)

Ryro likes this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

:eek:..glad i have BadThads verdi-care....wish you had some too

Ryro likes this.
  6. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Agreed - better treat that ASAP!

As for ID, perhaps Tiberius from Carthago Nova with presumptive heirs? He minted for both Germanicus & Drusus, and Germanicus' sons Nero & Drusus
    Tiberius with Nero and Drusus Caesars Carthago Nova.jpg

Bing, paschka, Xodus and 2 others like this.
  7. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

It is important, but also easy, to treat a coin with bronze disease. Here is what I wrote in an earlier thread:

Buy a gallon of DW
    [distilled water] from your local grocery. Brush off as much BD as you can from the afflicted coin. Use a toothpick or brass bristle brush to scrape around the affected area. Place it in a cup for 1 or 2 days, then take it out and dry it off with a rag. Replace the old DW in the cup with fresh DW and repeat this process. Do this repeatedly for 2-3 weeks. Then dry the coin off and set it unsealed somewhere where you will see it often. Check it every day or so to make sure the BD does not return. If, after 1-2 months, you do not see any more BD, your coin is cured, and you can treat it like you would any other ancient coin. If it does come back then you would need to repeat this regimen.

I have treated many coins this way. About 10% of them had the BD return and required a second treatment. I've never had to treat a coin a third time.

Xodus, galba68 and Roman Collector like this.
  8. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Finn & gsimonel. I appreciate the attribution help & I do have some DW already from the store that I use to soak coins, so it's good to know I can use that here too. I will try and post pics of it later after treatment.

Roman Collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted