Need ID help...again

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ziggy9, Apr 11, 2018.

1. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Hi Gang,
    I have a bunch of coins I'm going through and identifying but these three are Greek to me..and I'm not so good at Greek!

This one looks like Antoninus Pius... but from where?
    help1.jpg

The next two I have no clue

help3.jpg
    help2.jpg Thanks for any help you can give
    Richard

randygeki, NOS, Bing and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

All three are Alexandria mint. First is Hadrian, second Gallienus and third Nero.

Andres2 likes this.
  4. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

thank you very much!

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

All three are nice coins but I really like the Nero which is year three, the first year for Nero at Alexandria and bears a nice, young portrait. The reverse is the serpent god Agathodaemon. As a general rule, coins with no legend on the reverse except for L followed by a Greek numeral date (here gamma=3) are Alexandrian but this is a bit unusual in that it has a clear legend at the top ΝΕΟΑΓΑΘΔΑΙΜ identifying the reverse figure. Emmett 106 lists it as a common coin but it is one I would love to own.

Dillan, NOS, Roman Collector and 2 others like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The first, Hadrian, has a relatively clear legend (ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟC is at right - AVT KAI TRAI at left). The reverse is Demeter with grain, poppies and torch. It is also a tetradrachm but has a nice dark tone. The date LKA (year 21) is late and this is one of only a couple tet types struck that year. The last half of Hadrian's reign, Alexandria really cut back on the number of types used each year resulting with fewer, but more common, types. I also consider this a nice coin but just not as interesting as the first.

Dillan and dadams like this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The second coin is Gallienus year four and by far my last choice among the three. The billon used this late was pretty terrible and not at all silver looking. I believe it is Homonoia Emmett 3734 but some of the reverse damage has weakened devices. Despite that, the full legends are better than many. I wonder if the damage is where bronze disease was removed so I would watch this one to be sure it does not form the green rot near the eroded areas.

Dillan likes this.
  8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted