Need ID Help - 1600's (?)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by DallasCoinsNThings, Mar 16, 2018.

1. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

SO, I bought a lot of Metal Detecting Finds - 30 Coins - for about $10 - And have been able to identify about 18 of them, 11 are too far gone, and I've got ONE that stumps me! It seems a little flattened and stuff, but maybe someone out there can help me! Most of what I've ID'd are late 1500's to early 1700's coins. These seem to be mainly found in France.

It is about 25mm in Diameter, Weighs 3.77g, and is Copper:
    0316181412.jpg 0316181412a.jpg
    THANK YOU!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DallasCoinsNThings

BTW... If you wonder about the other Coins I HAVE been able to ID, here's what I've found:

1587A - France - Henri III - Double Tournois (Holed but VF+ Details!)
    1592 - France - Henri III - Double Tournois - Lyon, France (? - Minted by the Catholic League after the death of Henri III - Mintage 177,120)
    1623-1644 (1636?) - Italian Papal States - Urban VIII - 1 Quattrino
    1656D - Louis XIV - France (Neuville Sur Vimy) - 1 Laird
    1655-1658 - France (Limoges) - 1 Liard
    1652-1654A - France (Dombes) - Gaston (13th Type) - Denier Tournois
    1675-1677(?) - Frederic Maurice - France (Orange) - Denier Tournois
    1543-1635 - Germany (Nuremberg) - Jeton Token
    1643-1715 - France - 1 Laird
    1695-1701 - Great Britain - William III - 1 Farthing
    1769D (?) - France - 1/2 Sol
    1798-1799A (L'an 7) - France - 1 Centime
    (2) 1797-1799 (L'an 6-8) - France - 1 Centimes
    1719-1724 - George I - Great Britain - 1 Farthing (Large Planchet)
    1744 - Spain (Segovia) - 2 Maravedis
    1790 - George III - "Spade Guinea" - Jeton Token
    1788 - (1860's made) - Immitation Spade Guinea - Gaming Token Produced in Birmingham

More than happy to share any photos if you want to see one, but many were hard to Identify!!!

4. lovecoinswalkingliberty

lovecoinswalkingliberty Well-Known Member

Looks like Azores provincial???

5. lovecoinswalkingliberty

lovecoinswalkingliberty Well-Known Member

6. DallasCoinsNThings

I think that the coin is a bit older than the Azores, and a bit more Mainland Europe.

7. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The inscription looks to be something like dieu et mond roit, which makes it the coat of arms of the British monarchy. It looks more like a privately made medallet rather than any coin.

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It's a jeton.

I too thought the legend under that coat of arms looked like DIEU ET MON DROIT, which, as mentioned, makes it a British Royal coat of arms- and it does seem to have the lion and unicorn on there.

But since it is a privately made jeton/token (brass, I would assume), that does not necessarily mean it is of British manufacture. A lot of these were made as counters and gaming tokens in imitation of coin designs.

It appears to mimic a late-18th century design in style, but might in fact date to as late as the early 19th century.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Trebellianus likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Aha- look at this.

My French is weak at best, but there's one posted on a French metal detecting site, which seems in synch with what you've said about your source. The one in that link has a little bit clearer legends, so it appears this jeton features the portrait of George II of England, who ruled 1727-1760, which goes to confirm my suspicions that this is a late-18th century piece.

In fact, looking again at your obverse picture, I can read GEORGIVS in those severely die-fatigued letters.

But it might be of continental European manufacture rather than British, despite featuring a British king and crest. A lot of this sort of stuff was made by the Lauer firm in Germany. And it could date a bit later than the reign of George II.

Trebellianus and Numismat like this.
  10. DallasCoinsNThings

Thank you all VERY much! I believe that you are correct, looking at the French Metal Detecting Site you provide... It is a Jeton Token, but I cannot seem to find the exact one anywhere online to provide any info or date.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

11. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Nice pick ups!

Can you post a photo of the 1 Quattrino?

12. DallasCoinsNThings

Bear in mind... this IS a Metal Detector Find. It took me a while to identify this one, as it is pretty worn, but here are the pics.

0320181326c.jpg 0320181326e.jpg

13. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Privately made pieces like these are notoriously difficult to catalog or get specific dates/historical info on when there is not an event specified or symbolized (coronation, death, etc).
    Judging from the size and crudeness of the design, I think game counter is likely.

Draft saved Draft deleted