need help

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lotusboyrulz, May 7, 2013.

1. lotusboyrulz

lotusboyrulz Member

i found this coin Screen shot 2013-05-06 at 10.32.08 PM.png that is not my coin. but it is the same style of coin just made in 1862 and the mint mark is a m.please help i would love to know what this coin is and if it is worth anything? thanks for your time!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

The picture is too small.

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Looks like Mexican 5 centavos.

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It looks like KM396 which is a 5 Centavos from Mexico. If it is then it should weigh 1.3530 grams of 0.9030 Silver. The coin dated 1869 has a mintage of 30,000 and has a catalog price of $25 in Fine condition (without hole or damage). Note that this identification is only a guess based upon the small photo. Please wait for more experienced members to comment on better photos.

6. Hiddendragon

It seems like the OP is saying the coin in the photo is not his coin, but is similar to the coin he has.

7. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Are you sure it's dated 1862? Collect89 is correct that the coin you have pictured is a KM396. But, KM396 was not minted in 1862. It would be easier if you could get us a pic of the actual coin you're talking about.

For anyone who doesn't know, the 1860s were an interesting time in Mexico. The French took advantage of the Civil War going on in America to try to install a monarchy in Mexico. Normally, the US wouldn't have stood by while this was happening but we were a bit busy at the time.

As a result, the numismatic history of Mexico is somewhat complex from 1862 to 1867 as well. I'm not even sure that a 5 Centavo coin was minted at the Mexico City mint at all during those years. If OP has a KM396 from 1862 I'd like to see it!

BTW, after the Civil War in the US came to an end, all it took was for the US Army to deploy about 50,000 troops to the Rio Grande and the French threw down their guns and fled.

8. lotusboyrulz

lotusboyrulz Member

Ok so the coin is in really rough condition. I know for a fact it has a m mint mark.it is ethir a 1862 or 1865. but you have to look at it really close to see any year . I will take a picture of it but its really bad.

9. lotusboyrulz

lotusboyrulz Member

yes that is true!

10. lotusboyrulz

lotusboyrulz Member

IMG_0876.jpg IMG_0879.png IMG_0880.jpg these are the best pics i can get right now my other camera does not work. from what i see it is a 1864 ?!?!

11. Hiddendragon

Your coin says Mexican Empire, which is the period of Maximilian the Hapsburg emperor. You are correct on the 1864 date. Krause lists an 1864 M with a value of $12.50 in F, but I don't think yours would grade that well.

12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

is that solder on the reverse?

Draft saved Draft deleted