Need help!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by cpm9ball, Jun 16, 2010.

1. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Totally agree. I went through the same thing in the antiques business. Even though the vase belonged to granny didn't mean it was as old as granny. People would get mad when they found out it was bought at Woolworths in the 1970's and wasn't worth thousands of dollars. I was called all kinds of names because it was apparently my fault.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Almost like YOU are trying to rip them off.
    If it ain't as valuable as they say it is, and is even a replica or counterfeit, why would you want to even buy it?
    Doesn't make sense to me.

4. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

The real fun is NFL forums. I cannot tell you how many people insult my picks. LOL But, all our vacations are courtesy of contests. It's ALL good !

5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Yep, I was the shyster. It worked the other way, too. If they came in looking for something and it was priced high because it was valuable, they called it a rip-off.

6. junkcollector

junkcollector Junior Member

How about first grade where they teach writing

7. junkcollector

Ill give you a Nigerian cashiers check

8. junkcollector

Straightjacket maybe?

9. junkcollector

I recomend you put them in a bandsaw this will greatly improve their value after you should sandblast them to get them clean

10. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

I am still new and have many more stupid questions left in me I am sure.
    However , in all fairness , I have discovered that coin collectors for the most part are not humanitarians and it would behoove any new collector to be skeptical.

Here are some prime examples:

I walk into a local coin dealer and ask if he wants to buy my 1889 Nickel three-cent piece in VF+ condition. I tell him it was inherited and I am new to collecting. He offers me $40.00. I then reach into my laptop bag and pull out the latest RedBook and he immediately significantly increases his offer.

I attend an estate liquidation sale. I see a western style belt buckle in the display with an average looking 1922 Peace Dollar & the item had a price tag of $80.00. I ask the sales person if I could examine it to see why it costs so much & proceed to pull my trusty RedBook or Greysheet out of my bag. The sales person instantly says I can have it for $15.00.

11. tmoneyeagles

Some people do want to get the unsuspecting collector or just the person who is distracted by shiny objects such as coins.
    People jack prices way up because not everybody has their RedBook or Greysheet with them at all times and they are forced to make a decision right then and there. Most of the times though, even when you pull out that pretty little price book, the seller won't just go down on the coin by a rash amount. If they do it will be like 5 bucks, maybe 10.

I think you got lucky in both of those situations and I wouldn't count on it happening again.

12. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

I think the point I was trying to make was that , while it is not cool to disrespect the folks here on CT that honestly try to lend good advice to other members , it would be foolish not to ask questions and challenge the answers given.

13. tmoneyeagles

But, going with your point, you have to do so in a courteous, calm, and assertive way, you can't just come here and tell people with years worth of experience that they don't know jack.
    I agree 100%, and if I see something I don't like, or disagree with, I argue, but I do it the right way, in the form of a debate, where questions are asked, and they are answered. Not in the form of personal attacks and wanting other people to help but only if they agree.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

One major difference - the people here on CT are NOT trying to sell you something or buy something from you. They are merely providing information so there is no reason to lie or try to beat you out of anything.

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

FleaBay! Where else? Just make sure you give it a BIN of $1,000 so you can unload it before the Feds get to you.

Chris

16. cpm9ball

i trieds that but my jooner hi school is a parkin lot now so i dids the next best think...............

i learnsed hear!

Chris

17. cpm9ball

dont get figgers in way right wood beach sand work?

18. cpm9ball

But, when you get 20 answers the same and it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....................

Chris

19. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

:hatch: pigeon toed:confused:

20. cpm9ball

This is, without a doubt, the best point in this entire thread!

We have absolutely nothing to gain, and all we are trying to do is to educate the beginner so, hopefully, they won't make the same mistakes that so many of us have made over the years.

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. tmoneyeagles

The only thing we can gain is more knowledge. The more I teach something the better I become at it myself.
    :thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted