Need Help with US 1878 100 Cents Coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SuperDude81, Apr 4, 2014.

1. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

The Chinese really like this coin for some reason, and there are many counterfeits out there. Only buy one graded by PCGS, NGC or ANACS.

4. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

The go to guide for pattern coins is by JUDD and most of them are identified by Judd numbers. I don't know if you can view the book online but it is readily available and not super expensive if you want to buy one. I suppose you could do a google search for each Judd number and see them.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Although I agree with you, the "Nazi" nonsense was a tad much, don't you think?

6. harley bissell

I wasn't calling anyone in particular a forum Nazi sir. The name COIN TALK implies that discussion and sharing of information is encouraged. My pet peeve on every forum is the know-it-alls and skeptics that shut down discussion. I am fully capable of making up my own mind. If someone claims to have seen or been aboard a UFO I want to hear his story. I don't want to hear a long winded dissertation by someone who "thinks" there never have been UFOs and never will be UFOs. I can't count how many times an intriguing offer of a story has been trounced on by forum Nazis, the offer has either been withdrawn or the OP has departed never to be seen again but hey it's all good we still have the Nazis
    watching to make sure that we never hear anything that rocks their little world.
    You might guess that this is one of my major pet peeves.

7. harley bissell

Read the followup sir. Big Nazis didn't hatch full blown.
    They start out as little Nazis and when they are not
    opposed they get worse. The obvious intent was to
    shut down discussion because the OP was no longer
    around or it was an "old" post. To my mind knowledge
    is timeless and every innovation goes forward from
    previous knowledge. I'm the world's foremost expert
    on my personal opinions. I grant everyone an equal
    right to their opinion. All should be free to express
    their opinions subject to the rules of civil discourse.

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Again, and as was quite clearly stated, I agree with you on principle and have no issue with the bumping of older threads. It happens regularly and most often for senseless reasons, so it's hard to see harm when done for a fair purpose.

However, please don't preach about "the rules of civil discourse" while needlessly and repeatedly injecting the nazi nonsense into the discussion. It's nothing more than a lame tactic used by those unable to make their case without reaching into the garbage for ammo, and is wholly unnecessary here. Consider Godwin's Law, sir.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There are very few patterns shown in the Redbook, The Birch cent, the silver center cents, the 1856 flying eagle cent and the four dollar gold stellas. There may be a few others.

I tend to prefer Pollock, more information and more listings. Unfortunately Pollock is long out of print.

10. harley bissell

I have never heard of Godwin's Law but just finished reading it. It was a very astute observation of current practices. I really don't need to use the term Nazi as a straw man for my argument. I could equally apply my statement to fundamentalists; book burners; censors; authoritarians; and the politically correct crowd. Makes no never mind what it's called I'm agin' it. As to civil discourse I was referring to the preference of most people to avoid cursing regardless of provocation.

11. True

True New Member

I just got this same coin in collection. Ive been checking around online forums & was pointed to the difference in the one i have (same as puctured) & the ones on auction. The 1 in 100 cents has no foot whereas the auction coins have it. Also, mine has some rust on it

Draft saved Draft deleted