Need help with symbols on a bill!!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Sean the Coin Collector, Apr 27, 2015.

?

Will this hurt the value of these bills or is it federal reserve done ??

1. Yes, it will hurt there value

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No, it will not

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

I recently got a strap of ten dollar bills from the Federal Reserve, all threw out were mixed sequential 10 dollar bills. This is usually how they have been doing it lately mixing up the bills inside there straps. But never before have i got them with these symbols, i don't believe they ever circulated. Does anyone know what they are and will they hurt the value of these choice unc bills ?? These bills all contain these symbols every single one in the strap!! Thanks in advance Sean

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lettow

lettow Senior Member

They are validation stamps placed on the notes by a merchant. Sort of like chop marks on trade dollars.

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. Sean the Coin Collector

That is very interesting due to them being sequential ? A merchant as in like a store or business, or another country ?

5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I believe that I've read that these are probably done in the far east and assure that the bills are genuine.

6. Sean the Coin Collector

Like Asia ?? Are they stamped over there or are they stamped here for over there ??

7. derkerlegand

From what I understand, over there. Kinda like chop marks on an old trade dollar.

8. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Are you saying you threw some of them out? ;-)

9. lettow

lettow Senior Member

They are stamped wherever they were used. It also happens in parts of the US with large Middle Eastern populations like Detroit.

10. Sean the Coin Collector

Alright thank you all for the info do you think they are worth saving as uncirculated bills now or should i send them back into circulation ??

11. derkerlegand

I don't think that I'd save 'em. You know I haven't seen $10 bills stamped that way. Mostly $100 bills, maybe a couple of $20's.

12. jonny oneal

jonny oneal Member

I WATCH SERAIL NUMBERS FOR REPEATERS, RADAR, ETC., BUT ALSO HAVE Found two star notes recently that are from 2006 & 2009. i have also found several notes with a series such as 87878749. do these have any value? what about new consecutive two dollars bills? i have a source that issues them in packs of twenty five, all c/s, but sometimes I can buy four packs and have 100 consecutive notes. I do not want currency, however, except for the special mint issues such as the millenium coin and currency sset (the serial number I received in that series is 20002000--thought that was petty cool) but would appreciate input regarding where to sell new currency and old (I have many pre-1936 silver certificates, u.s. notes, and federal reserve notes, as well as ones from the fifties, and some fed. reserve from 1990 & 1995). thanks. jonny

Draft saved Draft deleted