Need help with Sacagawea dollar coin

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pippypowerful, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Pippypowerful

Pippypowerful New Member

Can someone help me with what's going on with my coin please. I'm just learning...die crack error? Several errors? I will upload some pics. I appericate it so much.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

Looks like a very bad die crack. I'm not an expert on errors, so I do not know the value. It should go for something though.

Pippypowerful likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You need to post a clearer photo and close-up taken from directly overhead.

Chris

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

What I see reminds me of a Native American cave drawing
    Picture 093.jpg

Pippypowerful and dwhiz like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

A Die Crack is a crack that is on the Die itself. Then that Die is used to strike a Planchet. The area on the coin would look raised because the metal would flow into the crack. It does not crack the coin.
    Is the area in question raised?
    From everything else I see going on your coin it looks like some sort of stain.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    MKent, micbraun and Pippypowerful like this.
  7. cpm9ball

That is why I want to see a better close-up. It looks like a stain to me, too. Remember, the 2000 Sac's had a problem with ugly toning at the outset.

Chris

Pippypowerful and dwhiz like this.
  8. Pippypowerful

Pippypowerful New Member

Thanks you guys for the help. I took some more close ups of the coin. When I click on the pictures to open they are clear so I apologize for that, I'm not sure why they are blurry on here. I hope these are better.Also the areas are not raised where the crack looking marks are. I appericate the replies!

Attached Files:

9. cpm9ball

I just can't tell from your photos. Maybe someone with better vision can help. Thanks for trying.

Chris

10. Pippypowerful

Pippypowerful New Member

Its probably the dumb phone camera . I will charge my digital and upload some more this evening if you don't mind checking back on me. Thank you too.

11. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The first question I ask myself is "What in the minting process could possibly cause what I am seeing?"

The answer to that question is nothing other than "possibly" a prestrick damaged planchet.

And as you've stated, it's really impossible to determine exactly what we are looking at based upon those pictures.

What appears to be "cracks" look like they are incused which would rule out a die crack and put the focus on a planchet crack. However, a planchet crack would cross the edge if the coin or at least I would expect it to cross the edge.

Washington 1958 Cracked Planchet 12381094 PCGS MS65 Coin Part Obv.jpg

Clearer more precise pictures are needed to rule out PMD or mutilation of the coin in the form of a Native American Symbol.

12. Pippypowerful

Pippypowerful New Member

Thanks so much for the knowledge. I am working on clear pictures to upload . I appericate everyone helping me learn.

13. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

As said, "I'm not an expert on errors".

:p

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted