Need help with possible counterfeit PCGS holder

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by vent1020, May 30, 2020.

1. vent1020

vent1020 Junior Member

First off, I hope this is posted in the right forum. Second, I come here a lot for help and appreciate all of you who weigh in and offer help. It's a great society of people. Third when I say "possible counterfeit PCGS holder" I am pretty sure it is.

So, I recently sold the coin attached, a PCGS 1904-O Morgan graded MS-65DMPL. The person I sold it to found the same holder on Heritage Auctions that was sold in Febuary of 2008 and it's obvious they are different holders by the boldness of the font on one and not the other.

Both holders look to be LEGITIMATE, have PCGS on the plastic part and have the right hologram sticker on the back.

I guess my question is, "Is China that good????" Has anyone else seen a counterfeit holder that good? And if they can get the holder that good, why can't they get the font right? I'm puzzled. The coin I sold looks really good in hand, so they would also have to find a coin that rivals the original MS-65DMPL 1904-O coin that sold on Heritage.

The first two pictures are of the coin sold at Heritage and the rest are of the one I sold.

Any thoughts or help with what is going on here would be appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      70.8 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      73.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      380.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      340.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      360.4 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      325.8 KB
      Views:
    • 33.jpg
      33.jpg
      File size:
      332.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Overall no, but on those solid blue label holders like that yea they can get pretty close.

4. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

I'm guessing, but perhaps the PCGS holders are made in China, and the counterfeiters had access to the source.

serafino likes this.
  5. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

I can get the Heritage bar code to scan easily but it won't take the other one and they don't look like the same coin.

The Chinese holders, with the exception of gold shield, are nearly perfect.
    TrueView is the only thing that is 100% safe.

In other words, you have to go back to looking at the coin.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  6. vent1020

vent1020 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I can tell they are two different coins. I really think the one in the counterfeit holder is a real Morgan. It is really nice looking, but maybe not DMPL nice looking, although close and there is a huge jump between the price of a DMPL and PL in this year.

7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I know early on China was counterfeiting the PCGS holders, and I talking ONLY about the plastic case.
    They were discovered to be counterfeit because they wouldn't "nest" together with others.
    But I suspect that was a simple fix for the Chinese.

8. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

You raise an excellent question, do our "friends" in China make these holders for PCGS ?? if they do than it's easy to figure out what's happening. Also, how hard would it be for Chinese crooks to counterfeit PCGS holders ? The Chinese counterfeit much more complicated products than a plastic coin holder.

Hopefully at some point our Nation will say enough is enough of China screwing our country.

jafo50 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted