Need help with ID Please. I'm close, but I can't find the one I'm looking for.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Xodus, Jun 10, 2023.

1. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

I'm having some trouble corroborating this auction houses' description. When I look on acsearch, I only see ones that have a reverse that says AVGV / STVS. But, none of them have it like it is in my coin (or at least as far as I can tell) - AVGVS / TVS. Could anyone help me get a better ID for this coin? Thanks!

Example of one that is close, but not with the same rev legend:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=7710205

Bronze 8.99 gr 27 mm Augustus, 27 BC-AD 14. Struck in Asia 27-23 BC.
    CAESAR, bare head of Augustus right.
    Rev. AVGVSTVS within laurel wreath.

3974718_1680684769.jpg

Sulla80 and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Xodus likes this.
  4. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Notice that RPC does not seem to distinguish between the different legend breaks (AVGVS / TVS vs. AVGV / STVS) or between CAISAR and CAESAR... (Not sure I've seen CAISAR before!)

That raises the larger issue: When do legend breaks matter enough to actually identify a different type, or something else of consequence? Usually RPC doesn't make distinctions.

For an interesting parallel with a different Roman Provincial mint, on certain Alexandrian Tetradrachms (e.g., those of Gordian), in 1918 Milne [JSTOR 370158] hypothesized that the different legend breaks (and other small details) signified different workshops at the Alexandria mint.

My Gordian III tetradrachm below (Dattari 4731 = RPC 3037.8) has a legend break between G and O, whereas most have the break between GO and R. (Remarkably, Dattari seems to have described the legend break incorrectly for that specimen in his 1901 vol., giving the more common GO-R!)

RPC does not make anything of the difference, but I understand there is a forthcoming edition of Emmett that will distinguish these by legend break (including my specimen and one other, Col. James Curtis Collection #1265 = CNA XVIII [3 Dec 1991], 443).

CONSERVATORI-Gordian III Helios Tetradrachm Ex-Dattari Draft 2.png

Sulla80, Xodus and Broucheion like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted