Need help with an older tag

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

So I received my Titus RIC 20 denarius today. I had heard that it was once a lot in an older CNG auction. I checked the current archives and the coin does not appear.

There is some information on the CNG take but part of it is missing so I cannot tell which auction it was a part of. On the other side of the tag you can see FSR and a date of 1999. I wonder if this might be a Frank Robinson auction.

Please take a look at the tag pictures and let me know if you can identify the CNG/Seaby auction or add any additional information concerning the provenance of this coin.

Titus RIC 20.jpg

Tga obv.jpg tag rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Ask Sveto who he got it from. Probably someone local.

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

FSR indicates FRANK ROBINSON. It was lot 219 in his May 1999 sale.

5. Orfew

Here is an updated photo. Still searching for provenance. This is the way the coin looks. The original photo was far too dark.
    T20 joined.jpg

6. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

That's not a CNG Auction tag, it's an inventory tag from 1997. Looks like someone bought it from CNG (probably Frank) in August of 1997 and he later sold it in his auction in May of 1999. There's a good chance I worked up the coin for CNG in 97.

Barry Murphy

7. Orfew

Many thanks Barry. Your input is appreciated.

8. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

The more I look at the CNG ticket, the more I am confused by the AUG. It looks like the 129735 implies the coin was purchased in December of 97 for $35. $35 would be the price CNG sold it for based on the ticket so it would be an odd coincidence if this number wasn't a cost code. I wonder if the AVG is something else? Maybe that's AU6?

This is all irrelevant to anything important, just thinking about the ticket. I like deciphering dealers codes.

Barry Murphy

9. Orfew

Maybe it is referring to Titus as Augustus rather than Caesar?

Thanks for the breakdown of the code. I really enjoy trying to puzzle out the meaning behind these older tags. In addition, each tag is a snapshot of the coin's history.

Justin Lee and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted