Need help with a found coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by bettycat, Jul 26, 2011.

1. bettycat

bettycat New Member

My brother found this coin a few years ago washed up on the beach in Florida. I am not sure what it is or if it is even legit, hopefully someone
    here will know. The front of it is very worn and it was hard to get a good image of it but the back is pretty clear. It is similar in weight to quarter,
    and is just slightly larger. imagejpeg952-2.jpg imagejpeg952-1.jpg imagejpeg952.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Brighter pictures would help but it looks like a cast reproduction from those pictures.

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The design is of the Pine Tree Shilling. If genuine the coin would be worth several hundred dollars but I highly doubt the coin is geniune.

5. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Yes, everything points to a cast copy. A genuine pine tree shilling would be much lighter than a quarter.

6. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Looks like a button that would go on a uniform! :)

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have to agree with others, a cast version of a pine tree shilling. These were mass produced and put in cereal boxes before there were laws making unmarked copies illegal. Most coin collectors who buy groups of coins have a few of these in junk boxes laying around.

I really shouldn't, but I have been known to throw out low grade roman coins at spots I believe people will find them. I was actually checking your post out to see if it was one of those.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Welcome to the forum Bettycat! I agree that the photos seem to indicate a reproduction that was cast rather than struck like the originals. We always hope for the better outcome, but the odds are against it.

Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted